• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heart wings and quick wing flicks?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys,

Some new stuff I noticed about Preeno recently:

- sometimes after frantically flying around in my toilet (possibly spooked by the mirror) Preeno will perch on his favourite spot of the wooden mirror frame. Yesterday and today he would do 'heart wings'. I know cockatiels do that a lot and am wondering if for budgies it means over heating?

- occassionally he'd be going about his business and out of the blue do this quick wing 'flick'. The wings are not fully extended, or at least I don't think I see the full wings stretched out. What does this mean?

Should I be worried?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
- sometimes after frantically flying around in my toilet (possibly spooked by the mirror) Preeno will perch on his favourite spot of the wooden mirror frame. Yesterday and today he would do 'heart wings'. I know cockatiels do that a lot and am wondering if for budgies it means over heating?
Probably just a little hot from the rapid flying ;)

- occassionally he'd be going about his business and out of the blue do this quick wing 'flick'. The wings are not fully extended, or at least I don't think I see the full wings stretched out. What does this mean?

clarousel

Probably just a little hot from the rapid flying ;)

I just saw the video. Isn't Preeno too young to be hormonal?! :omg: I was expecting hormonal behaviour to start quite a few months down the road since he's only just past 3 months old.

The wing flicks are like 2-3 times, not continuous though. Is it still counted?

I'm kinda in shock :laughing11:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy has also done the heart wings. He hasn't been flying around when he did it and the temperature was very pleasant - not warm at all. I couldn't find any information about why he did it. He'll make heart wings and hold it a few seconds, flip his wings a few times quickly and repeat this 3-4 times. Every time he's done it, it has been close to bedtime for him. I haven't seen him do it in the last 2 moths since he's been living with Tweetie.