• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heart is bursting with love, Paco!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I feel that if he keeps nailing me in the same spot it will end up as a callous. I have resorted to tossing a treat back in his bowl and not even offering my arm at this time. I'll keep working with him. Not sure if I'm brave enough to stick out a bare arm.

I honestly just don't know why or when he will step up like a gentleman or nip me. I just can't decipher the signals.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Happy dance, got Mr. Picky to eat broccoli, I chopped up some frozen heads into tiny pieces, hid it the warm oat meal and he gobbled if off my fingers. What a nut with oatmeal all over his beak! One point for mom!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I feel that if he keeps nailing me in the same spot it will end up as a callous. I have resorted to tossing a treat back in his bowl and not even offering my arm at this time. I'll keep working with him. Not sure if I'm brave enough to stick out a bare arm.

I honestly just don't know why or when he will step up like a gentleman or nip me. I just can't decipher the signals.
Lately I'm making huge strides with Monaco, and then started getting growls again. No bites yet, but it's not something I can predict either. It's usually in a certain spot, but not always. I feel your frustration!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Persistence pays off. Apart from getting nailed stop of head...but that's life with a bird. It loves you.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Hawk12237 You mean to tell me he slams my head cause he likes me? LOL well he has been getting better. I'll be darn if I didn't ask him to step up and he pinches my hand with the tip of his beak!!! Grrr then this morning nibbles oatmeal off my finger tips, enough to drive someone bats! Gotta love em though!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 You mean to tell me he slams my head cause he likes me? LOL well he has been getting better. I'll be darn if I didn't ask him to step up and he pinches my hand with the tip of his beak!!! Grrr then this morning nibbles oatmeal off my finger tips, enough to drive someone bats! Gotta love em though!
Lol.. Yes absolutely!!! ..it's a bird thing.....I get beaky whacked now and then....then my grey says " ooooooohhhhhh, love grey grey"
Sooo....I assume I get whacked aside the head before a kiss
And tell me he loves me.
:laughing6::laugh-bounce:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Hawk12237 ehhh not so sure with Paco. He did touch his beak to his previous owners lips when she asked for a kiss. I'm not ready for that step since he likes to chomp my arm. She told me he whacked her on the head too when she cleaned his cage. Must not have been very many times since his cage was filthy and had 6 inches of shredded soiled paper in it.

Anywho, we are making progress. I look at him and tell him every morning I'm getting "goodie cup" and he scoots over. I keep my eye on him for any signs of biting. So we have conquered that. He is more vocal now, whistling and chatter, trying to teach him new phrases but nothing yet, he has picked up a new whistle I taught him.

Last night I asked him to step up, no pinching, no biting but this subject to change. LOL He now preens and grinds his beak in the evening so I know he is feeling more comfy. We have been together now 10 months. I want to gradually get him off the cage and explore the bedroom and eventually get him out in the living room where there is more activity. One birdie step at a time. They are so intelligent. Every time I leave I tell him get in the cage, we are back to me bribing him with a treat. I look him dead in the eye and say, I'll be back and he just looks at me with those eyes!!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think ya'll are coming to the point where you have a rhythm together. I think the Beak grinding is a great accomplishment. I :heart: when I hear Buddy doing it, as I know he's relaxed & it's usually time for a little nap. I'm so happy that you 2 are working thru most of the bumps!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks @Rain Bow So lately I've been playing a Andy Griffith Show theme song (whistle) Well Paco came to life with whistles, so now for 2 days he has been practicing his whistling. He cracks me up! Its amazing to see his brain work!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Have you thought of a helmet or some safety head wear like the yellow hats for construction??? :rofl: :dance4:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pooping on your head is affection...He likes you! :dance4:
Are you bring sarcastic or serious? I don't get this from Buddy as he's Zon'ie. If he's mad he Nips, pinches or worst case a bite (bite specifically ='s if I startle him, which we try VERY hard not to do.) Lol!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
LOL @camelotshadow I did work in construction, admin side, and yes I do have a hard hat. I have learned to watch him and he no long head slams.

I think it's more of hey this is my cage, don't mess with it. I now tell him, no bite, and I keep my eye on him, he also likes to run over the top of his cage to get me when I close the curtain, I put a toy he is afraid of it on the back of his cage and he is still getting use to it. So now I close the curtain while he is in the cage and he can watch.

All in all, he is has really opened up, he is eating more and more healthy food, grinding his beak at night and sitting with one foot tucked under and spreading his wings one at at time in front of me. All signs of relaxing, he now chirps when I come home!!!

Its been a journey and still more to come, I am a happy bird mom and he is a happy parrot.