• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heart felt advice

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I truly cannot believe I am writing this... :( My birds are so precious to me. I'm coming here because I need some emotional support from fellow birb lovers. I have had my four birds for several years (GCC, crimson bellied conure, lovebird and white capped pionus) I always told myself there was no scenario on earth that could make me consider rehoming or ever parting with my beloved flock. However, now I am faced with just that. I am a Buddhist, very serious in my spiritual practice. For many years I have felt called to monastic life. The call is stronger now then ever. Becoming ordained would mean joining a monestary. This would mean parting, rehoming, my entire flock. The thought literally makes me ill. But this is a very special, very deep calling. I'm not sure what I hope folks on this thread will say... Just a really tough time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think the thing we must remember is that life is never static.

I don't know the right thing to say, but I do know that plenty of people have had to rehome because Circumstances Change. Sometimes we choose that change, and sometimes that change chooses us. This sounds like a situation where is it a little bit of both. :)

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I think the thing we must remember is that life is never static.

I don't know the right thing to say, but I do know that plenty of people have had to rehome because Circumstances Change. Sometimes we choose that change, and sometimes that change chooses us. This sounds like a situation where is it a little bit of both. :)
This is well said, thank you.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I pray your journey in faith proves fruitful! I know how heartbreaking this must be for you. I think many life decisions are hard in that taking one path will mean eliminating another. Do you have family or bird-loving friends you trust who can give your flock a good home?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As much as we want to do what is best for our birds, we have to do what is best for ourselves too. Best wishes with everything.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Thank you to everyone for the encouragement and kind words. It's been a long week with a lot of going back and forth on this decision. The calling in my heart is very, very strong... But I just can't do it. I can't give them up. I love them too much and the trauma of parting with them would be too great. So I'm going to take a middle path, so to speak. It is possible to take monastic vows and continue to live a "normal" householder life. It is not ideal, there are many benefits to living in the monestary once ordained. For one thing, it is difficult to keep all of your vows living in the outside world. My birds and my Dharma practice are the two most important aspects of my life. Being Buddhist means letting go of our attachments, as even happiness ultimately brings inevitable suffering. But even knowing and understanding that, I simply can not do it. The thought of the rescue coming and loading all four birds into her van and driving off, with me never seeing them again is literally unbearable. Buddhism is also about compassion. This means compassion and gentleness towards myself too. If the situation is unbearable, I shouldn't force myself to do it. So that is what I've decided. Becoming ordained, living at home with my precious flock. I can still go on retreat for a few days here and there to feel immersed in the tradition. That will hafto do.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I wish you joy on your journey.
This article speaks on a history with dogs. Im not sure if thats an exception , or not a current practice

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying for wisdom and strength for you as you move forward on your path!