• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthy Harvest or Nature’s Best pellets

Meeshholly

Moving in
Anyone feed their laying hens Healthy Harvest Pellets? Opinions on it? I’m thinking of switching my girls over to that feed from Nature’s Best.

I can order the Healthy Harvest from Chewy with no shipping charge. The price for shipping Nature’s Best from Tractor Supply keeps increasing.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I feed Barastoc, which is a pellet. I am not sure what is available in your area. It will depend on your birds. Some chickens like ISA must get a very high density pellet, or they can actually perish from malnourishment. They have literally been bred to eat pellet and to lay an unnatural quantity of eggs, so if you feed them seed based or lots of fresh they struggle to get what they need- blows my mind! Poor chickens.

If you have a bird that is laying everyday you need to feed something that can replace the calcium and energy loss. If your hens isn't laying daily you can feed a maintenance diet. Some people suggest feeding a pellet grower during the times of molt, but again it depends on your bird.

I like barastoc because they have many options and you can get exactly what you need for the stage of your hens life. I have an older hen who hasn't laid in a long time and then two little bannies, who rarely lay, so it doesn't make sense for me to give them the "top layer" pellet.

Our Products – Barastoc

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: tka

Meeshholly

Moving in
I feed Barastoc, which is a pellet. I am not sure what is available in your area. It will depend on your birds. Some chickens like ISA must get a very high density pellet, or they can actually perish from malnourishment. They have literally been bred to eat pellet and to lay an unnatural quantity of eggs, so if you feed them seed based or lots of fresh they struggle to get what they need- blows my mind! Poor chickens.

If you have a bird that is laying everyday you need to feed something that can replace the calcium and energy loss. If your hens isn't laying daily you can feed a maintenance diet. Some people suggest feeding a pellet grower during the times of molt, but again it depends on your bird.

I like barastoc because they have many options and you can get exactly what you need for the stage of your hens life. I have an older hen who hasn't laid in a long time and then two little bannies, who rarely lay, so it doesn't make sense for me to give them the "top layer" pellet.

Our Products – Barastoc

Hope this helps. :)
I’m in the US and have 7 hens - 3 are 2 1/2 yrs old. Two of those aren’t laying anymore, one is once in awhileThe other 4 are 1 1/2 yrs old and laying more frequently.

I have a mix of breeds of 3 Rocks, a Welsummer, a Marans, an Easter egger and a Legbar.

I might order a small bag & see how it goes.
Was just curious if anyone fed that feed...can’t find too many reviews on it.
I tried a cheaper feed $15 for 50 lbs - they wouldn’t touch it. I’d rather feed them organic/non gmo too.

Thanks!!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Meeshholly You have a lovely flock :) Marans are gorgeous!

Most of your hens are low to mid-range egg layers, so you should have some flexibility. If by Rocks, you mean Plymouth Rocks, they are a little higher on the annual eggs, but not in the extreme range. Keep your eye on the shell quality, changes in thickness or texture of the shell are early indicators of an issue. Also always provide a shell grit for hens. Which you probably already do, but thought it would be good to add.

The biggest concern with Plymouths is that they are very cold hardy, which can make summers challenging for them. Where I live it gets too hot! They are one of my favourites, so lovely and sweet.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I feed mine Purina. It has oyster shells in it so we don't have to worry about them getting enough calcium. We mix Pellets and crumbles and our girls love it

We have Rhode Island Reds ( including a Rooster)
White Leg horns
Black Sex Link's
Ameraucana's
Olive Egger's

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
All hens should have access to grit, even if it is provided in the feed. They are better at self regulation, than we are. They will eat what they need. Grit is not only for calcium, but also for digestion. They will also eat small pebbles and other solid matter.

Meeshholly

Moving in
@Meeshholly You have a lovely flock :) Marans are gorgeous!

Most of your hens are low to mid-range egg layers, so you should have some flexibility. If by Rocks, you mean Plymouth Rocks, they are a little higher on the annual eggs, but not in the extreme range. Keep your eye on the shell quality, changes in thickness or texture of the shell are early indicators of an issue. Also always provide a shell grit for hens. Which you probably already do, but thought it would be good to add.

The biggest concern with Plymouths is that they are very cold hardy, which can make summers challenging for them. Where I live it gets too hot! They are one of my favourites, so lovely and sweet.
I do give them free choice grit, oyster shell & their own eggshells (all in separate containers)
I live in Wisconsin - cold winters!! I’ve got one hen each of 3 different types of Rocks - Barred, White & Partridge. The Barred & White aren’t laying anymore - Poppy - the Barred hasn’t laid since she was about 18 months old. Oh well, she’s got the most personality out of all of them!!

Attachments

Meeshholly

Moving in
I feed mine Purina. It has oyster shells in it so we don't have to worry about them getting enough calcium. We mix Pellets and crumbles and our girls love it

We have Rhode Island Reds ( including a Rooster)
White Leg horns
Black Sex Link's
Ameraucana's
Olive Egger's
I don’t think mine would even try Purina. I got them some Kent feed from Fleet Farm & they refused to eat any of it.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I do give them free choice grit, oyster shell & their own eggshells (all in separate containers)
I live in Wisconsin - cold winters!! I’ve got one hen each of 3 different types of Rocks - Barred, White & Partridge. The Barred & White aren’t laying anymore - Poppy - the Barred hasn’t laid since she was about 18 months old. Oh well, she’s got the most personality out of all of them!!

Gorgeous flock! :) I am sure they will do great on what you are providing. It looks like they have plenty of foraging and a full life. Chickens are very robust eaters. My hens are special birds, one has scoliosis one is elderly and one is a super cute fluffy pekin. They bring me so much joy. I lost two over the last year, one from cancer which was very sad. I might raise a few more chicks in December, but I haven't decided firmly. I like keeping a small flock.

Keep up the great work I look forward to seeing more of them :)