• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthy Diet

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
I got my first bird, a budgie named Navi, about two weeks ago (or a slight bit more). He’s been eating seeds so far, with ocassional millet mixed in when he steps up (still in progress of taming). I put in a fresh raspberry on the first week, but he didn’t touch it. I’m a little paranoid about everything as a first time owner, so I was wondering about transitioning to a seed and veggie/fruit diet. What foods are the best for starting off?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Budgies tend to not care for fruit. They do generally like veggies and sprouts though. Dark leafy greens, orange veggies like sweet potato and carrots, etc. If not getting routine sunlight, then they also need some Vitamin D3 in the diet, which is easily supplemented with pellets.

Here is a simple formula for chop/salad/mash: My Chop “Recipe” – Parrot 1-2-3

Here is an article on D3: https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/single-post/VitaminD3-for-our-Birds

Here are pellets available in the US and most are available in other countries as well (not sure where you are): https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
@Mizzely

Thank you! My room is quite dark, so I was considering moving the cage to another, more sunny area. But I do have a cat, so. . .
I have another question as well, though.
Carrots seem pretty tough and hard, so do you have to do anything special? Like cutting them up much smaller. And are mini carrots or regular carrots better?

Sorry for all the questions!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds need access to unfiltered sunlight (not through a window glass or screen, direct sun or indirect sun like in the shade), in order to get UVB rays to manufacturer Vitamin D3. D3 deficiencies can cause a whole host of issues, including making it harder to absorb calcium. So if that is not available a few times a week year round for 15-30 mins, then they need supplements in the form of pellets or vitamins.

Carrots are kinda tough, but so is your bird ;) You can offer them steamed if you like, but my birds like them just raw and diced up. I usually just toss them in the food processor and pulse a few times.

Never be sorry for questions! That's how we learn!

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Budgies are basically seed eaters.
Just be careful about the quality. Find the very best you can.
Make sure they are not treated (Adulterated).
Greens are good, you just have to keep trying different ones.

Sprouts are key to a real fresh foods diet.
All my diets are sprout based. 13 birds and whoever else maybe in.

Sprouting Easy or Complicated? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Even Lorikeets I have boarded eat them.
Like Fidget (Lori) this morning he had his wet mix with honey and some sprouts on the bench as I was getting the other guys foods sorted, and he had a bit of wet mix, then when I looked up again he was eating the sprouts and seemed to be enjoying them.
I am betting he has never seen them before or even had chance to eat any.
He has been in a week and has been doing my head in trying different fruit. he is not too bad with greens.
But mainly been his wet mix.
So to see him go for the sprouts is pleasing.
Sorry.

Pellets: Well as Budgies do not do that well on most pellet based diet I would not go there.
Though Tops is OK, as it is not heat treated. Not loaded up with manufactured supplements, and has no ground up corn or the like. Heat treatment kills all enzymes and a lot of any goodness that was in the ground up mush.

Lots of thoughts on Vitamin D. I don't buy into you need to feed any fabricated foods at all, and certainly not because that is the only way to get it.

A good varied fresh foods diet should work in close to 100% cases.
It does for me. I only have two windows letting light into my birds room, both face south.
And as has been said glass blocks nearly all UVB.
True I do run two low energy FSL in the room. I have to have lights as it is dark in there during the day.
I have one female Cockatiel, who was born from an egg her mum laid, while she was on Lupron.
Zinny was a small weak (I felt) little girl. She has gone on to pop out around 50eggs, over the last 3yrs in that bird room.
And yes once she was serviced and I let her bring 2 bubs into this world.

Fresh grass and some weeds can be a real treat for them.