• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Health suggestions for Gilbert?

Arora

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi there!

New here; but I had a few questions about my families budgie Gilbert.

We've had Gilbert about 4 years now from the local pet store. His beak turned blue when he was young, but has been brown for at least over a year so I suspected I might have been mistaken on the gender!

I'm housesitting and noticed recently that his feet have a bit of a blue tinge at the top. They're not cold to touch and he's more perky lately if anything (more chirpy with the neighborhood birds anyway). His beak as well has a greenish tinge to it.

I plan on getting a few new variations of perches tomorrow and a new cuttle bone. But wanted to make sure I shouldn't be more concerned and passing any information along to my family?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok what are you feeding this little girl? yup you have a girl budgie. has she been to a avian vet in her life ??

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What has she been eating? Do you have a colored mineral block in the cage?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I see aloe sticking in the cage? Looks like someone nibbled on it.
Beak does not look overgrown.
Not sure how long a females beak stays like that.

Females can have light ceres with some light blue as mine did.

Can't see the upper legs.

If she has never seen a vet & you are concerned a visit would be recomended

Arora

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all!

I haven't brought HER! to the vet; had a bad experience with my childhood budgie and I believe it's the only avian vet in my area and we haven't had any health issues arise. Admittedly I moved out two years ago and my apartment has cats and my brother was quite attached to her. My parents are her primary caregivers.

He has a seed based diet with spinach and carrots as well. He's fairly picky but we've found carrot "perches" to work.

I asked at the pet store when getting a new cuttle bone and they were quite shocked her stripes were still there and hadn't molted away. I didn't think anything of this until now but we'll have had her for 4 years come September; is this unusual?

She does have a colored mineral block! That's the pink on her head.

I read the aloe can be good for them when concerned about her health before posting actually. She hasn't shown interest in it quite yet. Was that misinformed?

Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing abnormal with her striping. She has lost her forehead/top of head striping and still has the other stripes. That is normal. Babies lose the top most stripes/ones closest to the cere and usually not the ones that are further back. I don't see any discoloration on her feet but sometimes the coloring in photos can be off.