• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maggiemae

Moving in
Hello I hope I am posting this in the right section but I do need help with my two eclectus. I had just gotten these two over the weekend. I am including pictures. I would love some input… to me the female looks in bad shape. Male might be molting? Do they look very sick? Female isn’t as active as the male. I’m doing as much research as possible. I have an appointment for them but it’s won’t be until next week but all available avian vets in my area are all booked up… so I’m not sure if it’s worth trying to go to emergency care? From what I know… they were fed Zupreem Natural pellets. No fresh veggies or fruit. They got little sun. She last laid an egg in February I believe. I’m changing their diet to take out the pellets. Please any help or advise.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
@Maggiemae I'm in a similar boat with my eclectus male: feathers not looking good and not sure if its molting or a health problem. While I have access to two avian vets in my area and have had his droppings analyzed, I haven't got answers as to why my 4yo boy's feathers look so bad. At first I thought it was molting, but there are no pin feathers coming in. I know my boy has been battling a digestive infection and on baytril, that doesn't explain away the long term issues with bad feathers. I believe that the blood analysis is the only way to know his true health status. I am in the process of setting up an appointment to get his bloodwork done next week. It is a bit traumatic since he has an extreme fear of hands and flips out when I have to towel him to get him to the vet. Travel cage training has not gone well at all.

I've got nothing to add except that you should do your best to feed them good stuff and hang in there for a vet appointment. That's the advise I had to give myself to keep from being overanxious.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm no expert on eclectus parrots, but those two look pretty rough no matter the species. Their condition could be due to just poor diet and poor husbandry - but those issues could have allowed a disease or infection to start. It's good that you are getting them to a ve t quickly.

Until then about all you can do is provide them with a good diet, some sun and general good husbandry.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I was told by an eclectus researcher that in general, the females tend to be more reserved and can also be be a bit cantankerous. Several female eclectus owners that I know have backed that up.

EkkieMom19

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Becky
Some natural pellets are ok but cannot be only diet. Must have lots of fresh veggies and fruit daily. Even if they don’t like at the start keep trying. I’ve heard they may need to be exposed over and over to finally trust and try a new diet. My Ekkie May not eat something today but will love it tomorrow. Continue to offer fresh daily. Feathers will eventually improve.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im no expert but a good diet of fresh whole foods should improve the look of the birds ..it could be just from the bad diet in their pervious home ..good to get them to a vet :)