• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heads up!! Sale on No VOC Paint!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just thought I'd give you guys a heads up on this ..

I was at Home Depot today and they are having a 4 day paint event. The Glidden "FreshAire Choice" paint is 50% off .. so about $15 a gallon instead of $30. This is Glidden's No VOC, No APE, Ecopaint. The tint is also no VOC.

I think it's a very good deal. If anyone is planning a painting project in the near future, and wants relatively "bird safe" paint .. might want to check it out. I got 4 gallons .. lol .. I know I've got some painting that needs to be done in the future, and the last time I purchased this type of paint, I paid the full $30 a gallon, so now I'm stocking up in advance.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Wow that's awesome!!!:yah:
I want to paint the pine door in the birdroom in situ but not sure if it's a good idea yet.

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
so....this is paint that can be used around birds?

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
so....this is paint that can be used around birds?
In theory yes. I still would NOT paint a room with the birds actually in it though. I used this stuff over the summer. There was no chemical "paint" odor at all, and after a few hours of fans and open windows... I put the birds back in the painted area .. they are all still alive .. and quite loud today .. lol!!!

No matter what, it's a heck of a lot safer to use than the regular type paints, not just for pets, but for us as well .. we don't need to be inhaling those fumes either .. nor do our kids.

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
In theory yes. I still would NOT paint a room with the birds actually in it though. I used this stuff over the summer. There was no chemical "paint" odor at all, and after a few hours of fans and open windows... I put the birds back in the painted area .. they are all still alive .. and quite loud today .. lol!!!

No matter what, it's a heck of a lot safer to use than the regular type paints, not just for pets, but for us as well .. we don't need to be inhaling those fumes either .. nor do our kids.
Good to know thanks...My house has a few abnoxious colors from me being a smart @$$ that I cant stand looking at anymore. i.e salmon and periwinkle:shrug3:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Merlie, did you have them out of the place when you painted or just in a different area? Just curious because we are going to be painting the bird room in a few months and am wondering if I get this if I can spare my parents the visit of their grandbirds and just keep them at home in a different room.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Merlie, did you have them out of the place when you painted or just in a different area? Just curious because we are going to be painting the bird room in a few months and am wondering if I get this if I can spare my parents the visit of their grandbirds and just keep them at home in a different room.
I just moved them to a different room!! Easy Peasy!!! :lol: Actually, since it was summer, most of them were outside getting' a tan while I sweated my a$$ off painting their room :rolleyes:

Had the Caiques and the Hahns outside .. Mojo was hanging out in the living room and the Quakers were downstairs in the family room. My bird room is on the top floor.

If you're really nervous, you could just block off the intake vent to the room your painting. I just had the windows open and a big floor fan running while I painted.

I'm not willing to go out on a limb and say this paint is 100% non toxic, bird safe, won't hurt .. blah, blah, blah .. but again, all my guys are still alive and kickin' for sure .. trust me .. you can probably hear them even on the southside if you listen really close!!!

lzver

Real Name
Laura
We plan on doing some tiling and re-painting our kitchen in the next couple months. I am going to wait until we can open some windows. I work for Home Hardware here in Canada and get good corporate discount so I'll be buying their Natura brand of paint that has no odour and no VOC. I'll either move the birds to the bedrooms while painting or have them at the trailer while we do it.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm not willing to go out on a limb and say this paint is 100% non toxic, bird safe, won't hurt .. blah, blah, blah .. but again, all my guys are still alive and kickin' for sure .. trust me .. you can probably hear them even on the southside if you listen really close!!!
LOL I think I can... :D

Great, I think we're going to head over there and get it! Our bird room is a big open area with windows on three sides, so I think moving them to the front of the house and opening all of the windows in here will work just fine.

Thanks for giving the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.