• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Head rubbing...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
For the last few weeks, Milton has started rub his head on me. At first, I thought he was doing this because he had new feathers coming in that needed "skitched", but there are no new feathers.
He has been rubbing on my hands,and now comes up to my cheek and rubs. I know cats will rub on people to scent mark. It just seems unusual, because I've never seen this behavior in a bird before.
Just wondering, do any of your birds rub on you?

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Hana sits on my shoulder and rubs her head on my cheek when I turn my head to talk to her. I notice she especially does it when she's just heard the word "No!" usually in regard to jewelry. In her case, I tend to interpret it as "See! I'm cute! I'm a good birdie! Love me!"

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I think it's just a way of having some contact with their preferred person. Nerd would do it, Lurch does it from time to time when he's feeling like he needs special daddy time too. Probably just one of their ways to express that they care about you in their own little way too and it sure melts your heart:hug8:
The dogs we used to have always tried to touch your foot with a paw while hanging out with us and I think it's a similar, pack, I care, thing.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
when caleb is on my knee and decides i've payed enough attention to that dumb ole box i like to stare at, he will lean over and gently touch his top mandible and forehead to my arm or chest or even my cheek sometimes. in his case i think it means "MY TURN" :p

milty's lil move sounds too adorable... i'd be wrapped around his lil toe for sure! :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Nyx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Randi
Oh yes, Alice loves to rub her head and the side of her body on my arm or hand when in an especially cuddly mood :) it definitely reminds me of a cat lol its so cute though

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
All my U2s do this. But I have to say that Mobys the best at it. Seriously. He likes to press is butt onto my face, and tuck his head under his wings and preen. He gets so poofy and big while doing this. And its seriously soo cute!

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Awww. :heart:

Peanut rubs her head on me as her least subtle way of saying "Shouldn't you be scritching me right now?" It's when she's feeling ultra-cuddly. She'll start anywhere there is skin, my neck, cheeks, hands, arms, it's very sweet and helps that lovebird feathers are so soft.

AlexSenpai3

Checking out the neighborhood
Aww, I have a parakeet (her name is Athena) from time to time she'll rub her head on my shoulder. There was only one time she rubbed her head on my hand and that was when my cousin was in the room.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
My GCC Alex does this a lot, usually when she wants scratches or cuddles.

DarkenedStar2

Moving in
My nanday will push her head and beak as hard as she can against my face multiple times till I start giving her scratches