• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Head baldness in Alexandrine parakeet

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
Hey there,
I just wanted to find out if my Alexandrine parakeet having head baldness is common or something to worry about? She's just a year and 3 months old now and she's has this kind of patching on her head since many months, ever since the feathers started to grow on her slowly.. we just thought it's a slow growth on the head for her but my other parrot has perfectly healthy feathers. Any thoughts please?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Is she caged with another bird that could be plucking the feathers?

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
Welcome! Is she caged with another bird that could be plucking the feathers?
Thank you for your response! Bella is caged with Kiwi but there is no real sign of aggressiveness towards her as such.. they're placed quite visibly in front of us and I haven't come across him doing anything to her particularly. Feel like it's some kind of a deficiency that's affecting her feather growth, her head is patchy with darker feathers of sort if that makes sense.. she did pluck one part of her own tail feathers a couple of months ago however..

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you have a picture of the top of her head? Also, has she been checked by a veterinarian? I am asking because it is very uncommon for a bird to pluck their own tail feathers.

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
Yes I'm attaching some images of Bella so you can understand better. We took them to a vet many months ago when it was quite mild because her feathers were just growing in. She's 1 year and 3 months old now and now it looks like there could be a deficiency of some sort..
Kiwi on the other hand has full and healthy feathers.. I'm attaching a picture of both of them together too, Bella is the one on left

I haven't taken Bella to a vet yet because of the current health situation and feel it's risky to take them out now..

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could he be chewing on her feathers? While trying to preen her?

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
I haven't seen Kiwi particularly preening Bella as such. Sometimes he does peck her when they're playing with a toy or so, but not at all often enough to be plucking those many feathers towards her nape, you see? Could it be a lack of nutrition in diet or an allergy? Kiwi on the other hand has healthy plumage..

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would be inclined to think if it was due to lack of nutrition, diet or allergy it would not be so perfectly kept in one area?? I personally would be looking at the other bird for some answers first, even though you say he doesn't preen her they surely have a fair amount of time you are not watching them? The other thing I would be checking for is how she plays with toys- we had a member once before who had a little bird with feather issues which turned out to be the bird wearing the feathers away by going in and out of her coconut toy :)

I am not saying it is not due to the things that you mention, but, it seems unlikely to me.

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
I would be inclined to think if it was due to lack of nutrition, diet or allergy it would not be so perfectly kept in one area?? I personally would be looking at the other bird for some answers first, even though you say he doesn't preen her they surely have a fair amount of time you are not watching them? The other thing I would be checking for is how she plays with toys- we had a member once before who had a little bird with feather issues which turned out to be the bird wearing the feathers away by going in and out of her coconut toy :)

I am not saying it is not due to the things that you mention, but, it seems unlikely to me.
That's true, do you think it would make sense to put them in two different cages to see if there's a difference? It's just that we brought them in together when they were babies and has lived together since the beginning and when they sleep at night, they stay close to each other :( would separating them but keeping the cages close to each other make sense? Can't think of what else I could do.. the toys we give them aren't sharp either..

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am honestly not sure what the best course of action would be in this case given that you are not certain how it is happening.

I would be asking my AV if I could email some pics in for their opinion, my vet lets me do this with lots of stuff and sometimes if I just have lots of concern but my bird is not actually unwell I can do a consult via email (email pics and a brief outline of my issue or query) and phone (she will call me to tell me what she thinks of the pics and discuss the things I am concerned about if it is an issue or she will just email me back if everything is fine and I am being a worry wart)..... these email/phone consults usually cost me I think $20- $30 and sometimes they do not even bother invoicing me if it has not taken up much of the AV's time.

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
I am honestly not sure what the best course of action would be in this case given that you are not certain how it is happening.

I would be asking my AV if I could email some pics in for their opinion, my vet lets me do this with lots of stuff and sometimes if I just have lots of concern but my bird is not actually unwell I can do a consult via email (email pics and a brief outline of my issue or query) and phone (she will call me to tell me what she thinks of the pics and discuss the things I am concerned about if it is an issue or she will just email me back if everything is fine and I am being a worry wart)..... these email/phone consults usually cost me I think $20- $30 and sometimes they do not even bother invoicing me if it has not taken up much of the AV's time.
It's so brilliant you have an option like this, if you're able to get some feedback, it would be super helpful!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It's so brilliant you have an option like this, if you're able to get some feedback, it would be super helpful!
I was suggesting maybe you could call your AV and see if this is an option for you. Sorry if you thought I meant I could contact my AV for you, that is not what I meant.... I was telling you thinking your vet may also be open to this sort of consult.

Shargeg

Moving in
Real Name
Sharon
I was suggesting maybe you could call your AV and see if this is an option for you. Sorry if you thought I meant I could contact my AV for you, that is not what I meant.... I was telling you thinking your vet may also be open to this sort of consult.
My bad :lol:
I unfortunately don't have an option like that but I'll eventually take them to a vet once it's safe to get more answers.. Thanks!