• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He flew off with a feral hen..

Jogging around the block
So there is a feral hen pigeon around my place, her and my male Silver have often flown together, but they never actually stayed together, one of them must have had a move now. Silver hasn't been back to our shed, to eat or roost, in three days now. I think he is eating from the same food source as the feral, and roosting with her. He's not gone, I see them flying together 1-2 times a day, just not came back to where I am used to seeing him. I thought 'oh, it's only for a little bit, he's done this before' but last time it was only 1 day and a half, now it's twice that.. an adult pigeon can only go 3 days without food, so if he hadn't found in 3 days, he would be starving, and he knows where he gets fed and how to ask to be fed, my other two (and the new bird) are still here, he can see them here too.
I thought maybe he would try and bring her back here to nest, he's brung her back here multiple times, but every time the hen sees me she spooks, and he spooks with her, and they fly away..
I'm worried sick that he's not going to come back, I wont be able to see that he is ok, I wont be able to make sure he is fed, what if he doesn't remember where to get fed if there is a feral food shortage..
Maybe I am overreacting
Do you think he will come back?
Is there anything I can do to make him come back?
Will he stay here where he is homed, will he remember where to be fed?
:sigh:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know much about pigeons but I would think if he's hungry, he will come back. I think pigeons have a pretty good homing sense. And she might eventually get the confidence to join him. The wild pigeons we have around here are pretty bold.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Pigeons are monogamous and pair for life so you may be fighting their natural instincts. We always say on AA you cant take the wild out of a bird. Perhaps they will stick around so you can continue seeing them. I don't think its nest building time.

Jogging around the block
I guess on the bright side, if he's well fed and happy there's really no reason for me to be concerned about him. I talked to a few other pigeon keepers, and they all agreed that if he was hungry he'd remember to come back. It is very unlikely he'll get lost and not remember, he's literally a bird bred for over 60 years to return home from random locations hundreds of kilometers away.
And if he's going to be taught how to be feral, I think this hen is pretty skilled at doing well as a feral. She's been around for 3 years I've seen her, so she must have found enough food for all those 3 years. She always 'migrated' away in early autumn/fall, I assume to find a different food source, and would come back in early spring, then stay the summer. So if Silver decides to go with her, I think he'll be well looked after.
I saw him flying alone where he usually does this morning, no feral hen in sight. Maybe, just maybe, he'll rethink it, but I will go with the assumption he wont.

Jogging around the block
knock on wood, he's come back!
He was really hungry, poor thing. He's used to being fed more than what the small ferals live off. He was hot, wings out from his body. I tried to offer him water but I don't think think he recognized it , I think he much have drunk some water out of our guttering though.
He flew off with my other two, looks like they are a flock again.
He has not been with that feral hen all day.
Should I be trying to catch him?