• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hazelnut Scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Today I had the scare of my life!

Lemon (U2) was in his cage and I noticed he was being rather mouthy (he was going after everything with his beak).

After hubs left for work I went to let Lemon out and noticed he had a whole hazelnut stuck in his lower beak. It appeared to be under his tongue and wedged into the lower part! He could not close his mouth.

When I opened the cage door he scrambled up on top and proceeded to go all over trying to get the nut out.

Panicked I called the local moble avian vet but of course no answer.
I called hubs and had him turn around to come back home as I knew I would need his help.

While waiting for hubs I got the veg/fruit skewer, got Lemon and was able to hold him with one hand and try to pry the nut out with the skewer. It wasnt working and I was panicking more. I knew if that nut didnt come out we were in for trouble.

Ran back to the phone and tried the vet again...no answer.

Got a towel and put it over Lemon (my first time using a towel!)...he was NOT happy and tried to bite me and was screaming. I had to try to push the nut back up towards the wider part of his lower beak so he could spit it out. Still not working and he was becoming quite agitated so I let him go.

I gave it one last try and by LUCK only I managed to flick the skewer under the nut and dislodge it! Hurried and called hubs...go back to work all is well!

No way in my wildest thoughts would I ever think something like this would happen. There will be no more hazelnuts for Lemon or any other nut similar in size. Freak thing probably but I dont want to have to go through that again.

Needless to say it took about 20 min. afterwards for him to calm down enough so I could handle him. Luckily he buried himself in his box of toy parts and proceeded to chew the crap out of them.....better the toy parts than me!

I figure at most he had that nut stuck for about 20 min.
I feel bad that it was that long.
#2 Lesson learned - If bird is acting not normal (ie: unusually mouthy) investigate!

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I am so glad you were able to get it out :omg:That must have been so scary for you.:hug8:

When I first got my birds , someone advised me to play wth the towel with my birds and to towel them to check them out from time to time so that they will used to it. They are all used to it to the point that they were so relaxed at the vets office that the vet said she had not seen a too so easy to towel. I said yea, well he's expecting a treat immediately when you are done:hehe:
I hope I will be as resourceful as you were in an emergency situation if I ever have one:hug8: good job:dance5:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad you were able to resolve the situation quickly

did he let you check his mouth/beak to see if there were any injuries from his accident?

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
I didnt attempt to check his mouth.
After he calmed down I put him on his tree perch.
He preened and shredded a rice cake so I assumed he was ok.
After putting him back in his cage he drank water and ate so again I assumed he was ok.

I will be playing with the towel so he gets used to it should another situation arise.
Im just glad it turned out ok.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Rebecca, what a scary situation! You said you were panicked (I'm sure you felt that way) but it sounds like you handled this situation with a clear head. I am so glad Lemon is okay.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What a scary experience for both of you. I'm glad you were able to get it out of his beak!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:omg: I am so glad you noticed it and stayed calm and got it out of there

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:omg:Glad that You were home and able to get the nut out:hug8:

Kathy

I'm sure that was so Scary! I'm so glad you were able to get it out. Poor darling!
I would like to get my birds used to a towel for emergency's like that.. Peg is so trusting she would allow anything I'd imagine.. Sport and Beakner are a different matter.. though today I put a towel on Sporty's play top and draped it like a tent and he went under it a couple of times and wasn't too afraid.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
What a scare that must have been. Im so happy you got it out. His jaw must have been sore. That’s a long time to have a nut stuck in your mouth. I’ve had scares like that and it’s not fun at all so I know what you went threw. It’s horrible feeling.

One time my mom was over and she made Chiquita a toy with a hanger and ties hanging down. I was not thrilled by the toy but did not want my mom to feel bad so I put it in the cage. I was washroom and herd this scream, I came out and Chiquita got these strands of rope all tangled in her foot. I scrambled to get her loose but it was tough with only one person. Finally I did and she was okay. That toy went in the garbage. My mom felt horrible but she was just doing it out of love for my birds.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: how scary..so glad you were able to solve t he problem and get it out!!

ThatDarnBird

Wow, that was scary! I would never have thought of a nut getting stuck like that.:scared3:

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Wow - scary story but you did good - first by noticing it and secondly getting it out - the skewer was a great idea!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: How scary!! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.