• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hawk heads in multibird household?

cat99

Moving in
I’m considering bring home a hawk head and I’m wondering if anybody has one in home with multiple other med to large parrots . There’s s little info out there And it mostly seems somewhat negative.

This hawkhead would be a handraised juvenile and would be coming into a home with IRN and Cape. And a yorkie. It’s just me and the parrots and I’m home a great deal and never work more than 3-4 partial days a week.

Any input welcome. I have a dedicated bird room for when I’m gone and sleeping and my birds are on playstands and flighted when I’m home.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

whichlinda

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
I have both a hawkhead (Aurora) and african grey (Achilles) parrot. They get along very well. They share the same cage and also are affectionate with each other. Aurora gets along very well with 3 of my dogs which are shiba inus. I got both of the parrots as juveniles. Hope this helps.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have both a hawkhead (Aurora) and african grey (Achilles) parrot. They get along very well. They share the same cage and also are affectionate with each other.
How big are that cage?
That is not something I recommend...
I got both of the parrots as juveniles.
That explain a part, but wait and watch out when they get hormonal.
Aurora gets along very well with 3 of my dogs which are shiba inus.
What do you mean by that? Are they allowed to interact with each other?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bring home whatever you have the time, energy, funds & space etc to share between all of them & have them all lead a nice safe life.

I would not expect any shared cages or even unsupervised out time in a bird room.

Possible is still its not the norm & like said it has to be monitored as even same species brother & sister caged & raised together can get to a certain age decide they can't get along & get into fights that can cause injury.

A grey & hawkhead are about the same size with the grey probably weighing more if its a Congo.

Cape & IRN all have toes & feet & eyes & fights can be dangerous.

In the interest of safety any adult birds introduced need to be supervised when out of the cages. Just take a second for someone to lose a limb or get seriously injured. Add a dog or cat to the equation & life can become complicated.

Never met another hawkhead but Penny. Have done alot of research. Its going to heavily depend upon how they were reared & the life they have had whether they can be a good pet. They can be high strung birds & can be a handful.
It can just happen. You have to be a very calm person & set a routine. I think if you have a busy house with alot going on it could introduce alot of confusion.

If its just you & you only work part time it could work.

whichlinda

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
The cage they're in is very big. It is usually used for large macaws. My 3 dogs are very obedient. Obviously, I would not put my animals in unsafe setting. I have a routine everyday for the parrots. I never leave my birds and dogs unsupervised. I am a RN and my schedule is very flexible. I have done plenty of research prior to getting the parrots and previously own other birds and parrots. I understand you are concerned, but you don't know me and my life. I'm just sharing my experience.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The cage they're in is very big. It is usually used for large macaws. My 3 dogs are very obedient. Obviously, I would not put my animals in unsafe setting. I have a routine everyday for the parrots. I never leave my birds and dogs unsupervised. I am a RN and my schedule is very flexible. I have done plenty of research prior to getting the parrots and previously own other birds and parrots. I understand you are concerned, but you don't know me and my life. I'm just sharing my experience.

No problem///Glad it works for you but its not the norm & not to be expected so just think everyone who brings in another bird has to assume it will need its own cage & out time so everyone will be safe...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don’t own one but from all the people I’ve read owning one they are pretty head strong birds that usually don’t play well with other species once mature adults.

Having said that. Everything is situational. This is more about the environment you provide and the husbandry skills you bring to the table.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I understand you are concerned, but you don't know me and my life. I'm just sharing my experience.
And your experience in wrong hands can kill birds. New members can read that. And in this forum we do the opposite, we educate people for how dangerous it can be to have dogs and cats together with birds.
Obviously, I would not put my animals in unsafe setting.
But you do. You do place a predator and a prey together thinking that they are safe just because they are obedient and that you supervise them.
You have no chance to stop something if your dogs attack. Their reaction time is much faster then yours.
Also consider that your dogs are very athletic and fast, they where also breed for hunting and loves to chase small animals they perceives as prey.
Training can't take that away.
"Most Shibas cannot be trusted off leash because they are natural hunters and love the chase."

whichlinda

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
And your experience in wrong hands can kill birds. New members can read that. And in this forum we do the opposite, we educate people for how dangerous it can be to have dogs and cats together with birds.

But you do. You do place a predator and a prey together thinking that they are safe just because they are obedient and that you supervise them.
You have no chance to stop something if your dogs attack. Their reaction time is much faster then yours.
Also consider that your dogs are very athletic and fast, they where also breed for hunting and loves to chase small animals they perceives as prey.
Training can't take that away.
"Most Shibas cannot be trusted off leash because they are natural hunters and love the chase."
I have own dogs and birds my entire life. Its starting to get exhausting explaining myself over again. My parrots have their own room. My dogs are kenneled in another area of the house when I'm at work. Too be honest, my shibas are seniors and are lazy to really care about the parrots.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have own dogs and birds my entire life. Its starting to get exhausting explaining myself over again. My parrots have their own room. My dogs are kenneled in another area of the house when I'm at work. Too be honest, my shibas are seniors and are lazy to really care about the parrots.
We just recently had a member loose a small bird because they had 2 small (different species) parakeets together. When you have "a prey bird" & "The" prey bird in the same cage, people here are not trying to make you re-idderate what's going on, but try to save your birds from getting hurt or worse... Please don't take it personal...

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Im curious how is every thing working out? Or did you even get the HH?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
And this is why we don't get to educate: we latch on to a perceived fault and beat it to death Would you rather they engage in a long term discourse with us or leave here and try to go it alone with the Internet? We might as well be a FB group.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
2 loving poor well loved birds met there end in the jaws of an animal/ Its horrible & it might only happen once in 30 years but accidents can & will happen & it will be the bird who pays the price with its life & the rest with there hearts...

Dogs, & cats whatever...an open door a guest fond of cleaning too well or opens the cage...well the list goes on...I live alone & rarely have guests but even then...oh... & the I never fall asleep & my bird never gets under me...We can warn til we;re blue in the face & then we have to log on xmas to find a bird squashed in the recliner...It never ends but still we try...

whichlinda

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
2 loving poor well loved birds met there end in the jaws of an animal/ Its horrible & it might only happen once in 30 years but accidents can & will happen & it will be the bird who pays the price with its life & the rest with there hearts...

Dogs, & cats whatever...an open door a guest fond of cleaning too well or opens the cage...well the list goes on...I live alone & rarely have guests but even then...oh... & the I never fall asleep & my bird never gets under me...We can warn til we;re blue in the face & then we have to log on xmas to find a bird squashed in the recliner...It never ends but still we try...
I understand that you're concern, but I take very good care of my animals. Btw both my parrots are doing great! I take my parrots out everyday and socialize my dogs with them. My parrots think they're dogs. Obviously, I would never leave them unattended with the dogs.

magestick1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Albert
Birds of prey are as beautiful as the wilderness of the US itself.