• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Having Trouble with Wave Training

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
I watched ElleandTheBirds' tutorial on how to teach a bird how to wave, but im having a problem

since the starting training is so similar to step up, she will stop waving after once or twice. once she knows a treat is returning, she grabs my finger with her beak before putting her feet there so i can't pull away. effectively causing her to step up. and then I feel like if i don't reward her at all for stepping up ever during the training, she'll stop entirely, but if I do she might not learn how to wave. and regardless on if its true or not I end up having to stop the training after a bit.

Any advice?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were a bird & my human was teaching me to wave like person in the tutorial that I'd be beyond confused.

I taught my B&G Macaw to wave her foot & also her wing. Your bird needs to understand what it is you want it to do. Parrots see your hand as the same as their foot. Stand away, so the bird can not reach you. With your elbow touching your side, lower arm out in front of you, raise your lower arm & hand up & wave your hand. This shows the bird to raise its leg & wave it's foot. Use a word command like "wave foot".

A wing wave is a little harder...hand on side, elbow sticking out. Wave your elbow back & forth. They see this as waving their wing. I used word command "wave bye-bye".

I did not use any treats, I rewarded with phrase, but each bird is different & you may need to. It takes time & patience & daily lessons until they get it. Keep training sessions to just a few minutes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

SkytheGcc

Strolling the yard
If I were a bird & my human was teaching me to wave like person in the tutorial that I'd be beyond confused.

I taught my B&G Macaw to wave her foot & also her wing. Your bird needs to understand what it is you want it to do. Parrots see your hand as the same as their foot. Stand away, so the bird can not reach you. With your elbow touching your side, lower arm out in front of you, raise your lower arm & hand up & wave your hand. This shows the bird to raise its leg & wave it's foot. Use a word command like "wave foot".

A wing wave is a little harder...hand on side, elbow sticking out. Wave your elbow back & forth. They see this as waving their wing. I used word command "wave bye-bye".

I did not use any treats, I rewarded with phrase, but each bird is different & you may need to. It takes time & patience & daily lessons until they get it. Keep training sessions to just a few minutes.
Yeah lol I thought it was odd, but the rest I found online said similar things and this one was surprisingly the best I could find. your Way seems way way better ha. Will try that

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Parrot Tricks by Diane Grindol is my go-to book when it comes to training. Simple and easy to understand, for both people and parrots.

I taught my cockatiel to wave with a similar technique to what that YouTuber did, but I didn't allow my bird to grip my finger. He had to understand that the wave doesn't involve physical contact, which is what mainly separates it from the beginning step of step-up. Remember to repeat the word calmly and clearly, and only once--Saying it repeatedly is pointless and confusing for the bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You will want to touch his foot and say wave. The moment he lifts his foot, even shifts his weight off of it say "good" and reward. Repeat repeat repeat. You may have to rub your finger on the top of his foot at first.

It will get to the point that you point at his foot and say wave. Then... you will just say wave. :)

AlisaL

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alisa LaVine
Have you tried capturing instead? It's not necessarily easy but if you're hanging out, keep your clicker in your hand. You know when a bird is just about to scratch its head and it lifts its foot and pauses? If you can capture that behavior with a click a couple/few times you'll be on your way to Wave.