• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have you ever seen this behavior in chickens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Because we have quite a few and have never seen this. Our injured hen that we took in is constantly nestling under the other hens wings and then crawls under her to lay down (it is not as though the other is sitting on her she is actually crawling under her to lay)??? Heres a pic. lol I mean they get along better than I have ever seen two hens get along... not complaining just curious :)

Attachments

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, that's a new one on me, and I grew up around chickens. It almost looks like a remnant of chick behavior--seeking refuge under mama :) Cute.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
lol I suppose...Im pretty sure they were hatched in an incubator though back in March.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that is impossibly sweet...awwww

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I've never seen that behavior myself, but it's wonderful to see that she's made a friend with another one of your hens. It does look like chick behavior, maybe her instincts are kicking in despite her age?

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
lol its adorable. I am considering keeping them on their own since they seem so happy together. We wanted to try to hatch some eggs next spring. It would be nice to maybe try to hatch some from these two so we know who the parents are. It would be even nicer if we could let the hatch them on their own. I have no experience hatching chicken eggs or letting them hatch their own though. I am wondering if we just put the roo in with them for a while if that would get the job done? lol He is a very handsome guy that closely resembles our old boy who we lost not to long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.