• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have some wing twitching going on.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The soonest I can bring Dexter in for evaluation is Monday, so I thought I'd see what my AA family has to say. Last night Dexter, my 6 y.o. scarlet macaw, began having some wing twitching. He alternately twitches his wings, one twitch on the left; one on the right. He's eating well, acting fine and pooping just fine. He's in the midst of a molt and has a lot of pinnies, so I'm hoping it's that rather than some sort of infection or toxicity. I did give him a new toy, but it's essentially coconuts, strings and blocks all tied together. It's the Prevue bodacious bites bamboo shoots bird toy. When it arrived there was a lot of dust inside the packaging which I attributed to excess dust after drilling the coconuts.

I'm worried about my bubba, so I hope someone might have some insight/feedback as to why he might be doing this. Thank you!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Macawnutz any thoughts?
If it was the dust I'd imagine it would be more of a respiratory issues vs wing twitching,that's very curious.
I hope that he'll be ok. :hug8:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Does a bath help with the twitching at all? My littles will twitch a bit from time to time during a molt if a feather is irritating them and this helps with that.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wing twitching is the first sign of uncomfortable. While it could be as simple as molting it can also be infections.

Always better safe than sorry. Make the appointment and get cbc, Chem panel and fecal gram stain.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! The earliest I could get him in for an appt is Monday. In the meantime I will be bumping up his spritzer baths and keeping a close eye on him.