• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Have been left with an abandoned finch fledgling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
It was quite dehydrated when it was brought to me, so fed it some honey water soaked corn flakes and it's stopped peeping as much as when it arrived.

It happily munched down as much as it could until it's crop was full!

I've read most of the emergency wild bird feeding guides say dog or cat food, but i'll see at the local bird supplies shop if they have special finch supplements tomorrow.

It's fully feathered and was found infront of the supermarket (mall) in the city. Parents had abandoned it there for a while.

Is there some more things I should be mindful of?

It's 7pm now and the baby is resting in a new nest i made for it, in spare cage, away from my birds.

Should make it through the night!

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good job, sounds like you have the little on on the right tract to recover. I don't raise finches but someone may come on this morning that can help. You should be able to buy Finch seed like you say at a local bird shop. Hydration is very important, if needed mix Children's plain Pedialyte 50/50 with water and offer to the bird. In a pinch you can mix a sports drink like, Gatorade 50/50 with water. The hydration mix is for temporary use to help rehydrate the bird.

Keep us posted!
Gary

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
bless you for taking this little one in...sounds like you are doing all the right t hings..you might have to buy a syringe somewhere to possibly hand feed. also if you can get some chopped up worms...really mushed up...and some pablum mixed with water not milk to try to hand feed..good l uck. keep the baby warm

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks like splay leg to me.

Matt

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
Is there anything I can do to help the poor little guy? or is it too late? I guess this is why it was abandoned, being unable to perch so well.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
not at this point, just make sure he is well fed and watered etc....we have a crippled bird and he is doing very well.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awww what a precious baby. I hope you are able to help him!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for saving the little guy....sure is cute. I honestly dont know , but we use "snow shoes" at the wildlife center. A piece of lightweight cardboard, lay the feet flat out on the board and tape them down with a light surgical tape, not one that is super sticky. Trim to babys foot size. For a month or so. Does this make sense, I have no pics to explain. Ive seen it work and not work....but either way, I think you have new little friend.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
Oh thanks! that's excellent advice! so this kind of affliction is common? Its already begun flying to me when I show food, I'm sure this is a good sign!

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes lack of food and water for an extended period of time can cause what you are seeing. Once it gets enough nutrition and liquid, the problem could correct itself. BTW, it looks like a baby sparrow to me but I could be wrong. Chirp, chirp, chirp all day is contact calls for the parents.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Aww, he's cute. I hope he's doing well.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
I'm afriad he died yesterday. After doing so well for 3 days, woke in the morning and he ate very well. But then consistently worsened over a period of 3 hours, until eventually he was stiff. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Looked like a baby house sparrow. So sorry for the loss. Fly free little guy!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

Matt

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry, you gave him a warm safe place to pass, and thats all he could have asked from you. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.