• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hatching Chickens and Ducklings

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
A friend and I are going to hatch chickens and ducklings this summer as a 4H project and would love some helpful tips and ideas! :laugh:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
do you have your incubator yet it should come with instructions and time periods

Ruko

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
How many are you planning on hatching? How big is your incubator? Not all incubators are suitable for duck eggs, also I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe different species require different temperatures when hatching, so you might have to do each batch of eggs separately.
Candling eggs to see if they're fertile at 5 days is recommended so you can free up space and not have them exploding in a horrible mess when the other chicks hatch.
A few days before hatching laying down some kitchen roll along the bottom of the incubator is a good idea for cleanliness, also stop turning the eggs a few days before they're due to hatch or they can get twisted in the egg.

A lot of information can be found online though unless you have a more specific question.