• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hatching a single duck... (sad update #6)

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
Hey guys!
Im on day 10, and im getting a bit concerned as to how im going to be prepared. I have a poultry heating block, waterer, and feeder. I am getting concerned because hatch day is 18 days out, and im not super prepared. if anyone has any reccomendations on indoor housing, feed, duck diapers, harnesses, leashes, and any other advice I will be glad to take in. as you respond please take in mind that I am a student, and under limited budget. Thank you soo much!

also for people concerned how I ended up with only one egg, my ducks lay eggs and i put in 12, but since it is the beginning of march, and only 1 ended up being fertile.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Any way you could find another duckling, that will hatch about the same day? They will do better as a pair. If not, you might consider adding a stuffed animal, or small pillow, or stuffed sock that the duckling can cuddle with. As young babies, I use an old dog crate or bird cage with a heat lamp or brooder. I have heard of some people using those big totes with screens on the top. Ducks are messy and will dip their food in water so having a brooder pen that is water proof will help out bunches. Never done diapers as my poultry is outside. Good luck with your new little one.
1646534294868.png .

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I would look in to finding another duckling if you can. I did it with one of my last chicks who hatch alone, a friend had chicks too so Elly came to be a companion for Rick.
@fashionfobie may have additional advice.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would try and see if there is anyone in your area with baby ducks that you can adopt. Ducks should be with friends, at least a group of 3.

If you are a student you cannot guarantee to be home 100% of the time for 12 years. Ducks must not be alone.

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you want to keep this duck as an indoor pet or are you simply raising it up until it is old enough to go out with your older ducks? Or did you get the eggs from someone else? Diapers shouldn't be necessary if you are keeping them indoors just until they are fully feathered, since they should be kept inside a warm brooder anyways.

If possible, it would be best to get a buddy for your baby duck. It will provide companionship and help with integrating with a larger flock later on. Look for farm or feed stores in your area. They will usually have baby chicks and sometimes ducks available at this time of year. A pair or trio is better than a lone duckling.

If the plan is to keep it as an indoor pet, I don't have any experience with that. Personally, I think it is a bad idea. You would probably both be happier with the duck living outside as an adult.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
it died :( tragically, my dog got to it while i was shopping, I dont know how it happened, but now my dog is sick and may need to be put down, i came home to blood and feathers today, carpet cleaner will be called tommorow. :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
it died :( tragically, my dog got to it while i was shopping, I dont know how it happened, but now my dog is sick and may need to be put down, i came home to blood and feathers today, carpet cleaner will be called tommorow. :(
Sorry to hear of your loss.
What has made your dog sick enough that it may need to be put down?

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
I think the duckling was unhealthy in the first place, I don't really know as my dad took him to the vet. They did a charcoal flush and will keep him monitiored for a few days.