• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hatch day

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
Hello! Im new to this forum and I am in search of answers. I have two conures and my husband just called me and told me they have a baby parrot that was born today. I have been out of the country for about 1 month. He had told me before she has been laying eggs for the first time, and now this. I don’t know what to do, I had handfeeding before but 4-weeks conures. What should I do? Do I have to clean the cage everytime an egg has hatched? Do I just leave the bird with the parents? The parents became aggressive when they started laying the eggs. How can I make sure they are feeding the baby? What about temperature? Do the parents make sure the baby is at the right temperature? *assuming they are taking care of him.

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Hello! Im new to this forum and I am in search of answers. I have two conures and my husband just called me and told me they have a baby parrot that was born today. I have been out of the country for about 1 month. He had told me before she has been laying eggs for the first time, and now this. I don’t know what to do, I had handfeeding before but 4-weeks conures. What should I do? Do I have to clean the cage everytime an egg has hatched? Do I just leave the bird with the parents? The parents became aggressive when they started laying the eggs. How can I make sure they are feeding the baby? What about temperature? Do the parents make sure the baby is at the right temperature? *assuming they are taking care of him.
My suggestion would be to leave the baby with the parents for the first 3 weeks. Watch for shivering because this is an indication the baby is cold. When you do remove the baby from the parents you'll need to hand-feed for at least 4-5 weeks, and you'll need a brooder to maintain the proper temperature (starting at 85 degrees and dropping by 1 degree every 3 days until the temp reaches 75). Watch for panting as a sign of overheating. At about 8 weeks old they can be housed at room temperature. If you need further guidance let me know!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue,

Best to tell your husband to purchase all supplies as soon as possible, brooder, handraising formula, wood shavings, thermometers. This way, should the parents abandon or not care for the chick correctly, you can step in by preparing formula as per package instructions and feeding it using a small metal spoon, then keep the baby in the brooder.

Deisyg21

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deisy
My suggestion would be to leave the baby with the parents for the first 3 weeks. Watch for shivering because this is an indication the baby is cold. When you do remove the baby from the parents you'll need to hand-feed for at least 4-5 weeks, and you'll need a brooder to maintain the proper temperature (starting at 85 degrees and dropping by 1 degree every 3 days until the temp reaches 75). Watch for panting as a sign of overheating. At about 8 weeks old they can be housed at room temperature. If you need further guidance let me know!
Hello, I am so devastated. Only three out of the four eggs hatched. And two babies died already. On Saturday died one (9 days old) and I don’t even know why. When I took him out he had an empty crop. I though he was ill, and I left the other two with the parents. I have a camera and today Sunday i kept checking all day they were being fed, I had formula in case I needed to feed them (I had feed babies before but they were 4 weeks old; these were babies i bought for me) My conures look like good parents because they kept cleaning them and feeding them. I saw through the camera they were feeding them around 9:30 pm and cleaning them. But at 11:30 pm I checked again and one parrot was dead (12 days old) with an almost empty crop. So now I only have one baby left (15 days old) and I am so scared. At 11:30 they were feeding the other bird and I heard the screams; thats when I checked my camera. I took him out and feed him formula and put him back with the parents. The parents cleaned him and it seems they still want him. What do you think happened? What should I do? I don't want this bird to die. Should I take him out? Weird is that I saw the parents to feed them through the camera, I did not check on person because I did not want to disturb them. I read that if you disturb them too much they can kill the babies, and they became protective and aggressive.
Another note: I have paper bedding i bought from walmart.