• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone used anti-stress supplements on their budgies before a vet visit?

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
Hello everybirdy!!
I was reading this article: How to SAFELY Take a Bird or Parrot on a Train or Bus - Pets That Travel

Until I read the section about how to reduce stress in a bird while taking them to a vet. Obviously, I will consult to my avian veterinarian about this, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it. I am SUPER skeptical about “anti-stress supplements”. Seems pretty sketchy to me, do they even work? Are they even healthy for budgies? How exactly do they work? Any experiences where you noticed you bird less stressed at a vet visit when using anti-stress supplements? I am really curious at the moment since I never heard of this, ever!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I let my birds drink half water, half brewed chamomile a few hours before traveling and make it the water available during the trip :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That’s a really good idea! I heard chamomile tea is really calming for them.
It's also good for carsickness. My Quaker used to get really sick in the car until I started doing that!

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
It's also good for carsickness. My Quaker used to get really sick in the car until I started doing that!
That’s great! Is there anything else you do to reduce stress? I really hate it when my budgies are stressed at the vet

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That’s great! Is there anything else you do to reduce stress? I really hate it when my budgies are stressed at the vet
I cover half the carrier with a blanket or towel so that they can choose to hide or look out. Also helps keep them out of the sun during the summer.