• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone used a mini fridge near their parrots?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone, hope you and your bird babies are all doing good!!

I wanted to purchase a mini fridge to have in the same room as my bird Leo.

I bought and returned a tiny fridge by Frigidaire because it didn't keep things cold enough. I had it running in my room for about 24 hours with Leo there too and everything seemed perfectly fine.

I am now looking into purchasing this one by the brand cooluli. Do you guys think this is safe to use around a bird?

I'm unsure because it has a warming function (I will never use the warming function...I'm buying the fridge for skincare items only and maybe the occasional can of pop)...I'm super paranoid because so many random things give off toxic fumes (like air fryers, hair dryers, heaters etc). Has anyone used this or any other mini fridges in their bird room? Are they safe? I'm only looking into buying a super tiny 6 can one, I don't need anything bigger.

Would you guys think this fridge is safe or should I just forgo buying one altogether?

Thank you!

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
"When in doubt, throw it out."
Really, though, I can't see where a mini fridge would be a worry, unless it developed a coolant leak. That could happen as easily with a full sized fridge.
If you're really worried about it, would a simple cooler with ice work for you?
I would be more concerned with your bird chewing the electrical cord than fumes, or even getting the door to the mini fridge open, and getting shut inside.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have a mini fridge that is not near the birds. the only caution the directions on the fridge gave were that after shipping or bringing home the coolant needs to settle back where it should be so give it a few hours before plugging in. Then it said there's some kind of coating on the new compressor that has to burn off and will smell for awhile. So I plugged it in outside for a day.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Not in same room with my birds....they'll help themselves to the fridge. Lol.
I have two full size fridges. One in the pantry where I keep mostly all my bird food and stuff I grow for birds. And one for us in kitchen.
Family and friends think I'm nuts, till I show them all the bird stuff in fridge. They say " geez, really? They have more food in their fridge than I got in mine at home!! "
I have a lot of fruit trees and a big garden, so fresh fruit and veggies paid for the fridge!!

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for your answers, it is deeply appreciated! The fridge description says it is freon free and eco friendly. Some reviews by people whose fridges malfunctioned say that they smelled something burning, and there was even smoke coming out of the fridge. This doesn't seem like it has happened often but I'm a paranoid crazy bird mom and I'm afraid if the fridge malfunctions or something, it could release toxic fumes? I keep my window open at all times but I don't think I'd have peace of mind keeping it in the same room as Leo especially not being home all the time. I guess I'm scrapping my skincare fridge plan for now :( lol.

"When in doubt, throw it out."
Really, though, I can't see where a mini fridge would be a worry, unless it developed a coolant leak. That could happen as easily with a full sized fridge.
If you're really worried about it, would a simple cooler with ice work for you?
I would be more concerned with your bird chewing the electrical cord than fumes, or even getting the door to the mini fridge open, and getting shut inside.
I have a mini fridge that is not near the birds. the only caution the directions on the fridge gave were that after shipping or bringing home the coolant needs to settle back where it should be so give it a few hours before plugging in. Then it said there's some kind of coating on the new compressor that has to burn off and will smell for awhile. So I plugged it in outside for a day.
I can't see any problems with using a mini fridge or any fridge near your birds. If they can't get to the cords then don't worry about it.
Not in same room with my birds....they'll help themselves to the fridge. Lol.
I have two full size fridges. One in the pantry where I keep mostly all my bird food and stuff I grow for birds. And one for us in kitchen.
Family and friends think I'm nuts, till I show them all the bird stuff in fridge. They say " geez, really? They have more food in their fridge than I got in mine at home!! "
I have a lot of fruit trees and a big garden, so fresh fruit and veggies paid for the fridge!!