• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone tried Bird Street Bistro food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whenever I shop for Java's food, I often run across advertisment for this brand of cookable food. It looks okay, but I'm very wary of adding too many brands to his daily diet and after taking a risk last year, on food, I'm very skeptical about trying anything new, regardless of how reputable they may or may not be. Has anyone ever fed their bird(s) Bird Street Bistro, and what are your opinions on the quality?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You know what Brit - I sure wouldn't try it. Let someone else be the guinea pig - not my precious Java. Looks about the same as You know who's outfit. They give ingredients, but no nutritional analysis and I always want that analysis to determine how much and what kind of fat, how much sugar, salt and if there is enough protein.In their hearty vegetable blend they have put cayenne pepper and my vet, Dr. Driggers, made me promise never to feed any bird I own cayenne pepper - so I won't.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know what Brit - I sure wouldn't try it. Let someone else be the guinea pig - not my precious Java. Looks about the same as You know who's outfit. They give ingredients, but no nutritional analysis and I always want that analysis to determine how much and what kind of fat, how much sugar, salt and if there is enough protein.In their hearty vegetable blend they have put cayenne pepper and my vet, Dr. Driggers, made me promise never to feed any bird I own cayenne pepper - so I won't.
Thank you! I certainly won't chance it. Even before the whole issue from before, I would see this brand and something about it made me wary but I didn't know if I was just being dramatic. I won't be feeding this to Java.
May I ask why your vet is against cayenne pepper? I sprinkle it over Java's food and have never noticed any harm. If it's not safe, he won't be getting that anymore.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bird Street Bistro was around probably 8 years ago and I tried some with my birds. They liked it. I see they are back but not sure if it's under the same management or not, as there were a few years it wasn't available.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Cayenne actually does burn the skin and is even worse on mucous membranes (like in the stomach, nose, mouth). I will not and never have fed cayenne. I have given up arguing with people about cayenne, but it is in my classification of a very, very old fashioned home remedy that is harmful. Sort of like that grapefruit oil stuff that it was determined that the only thing in it that disinfected was the stuff in it that preserved it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I checked their website and they do have some nutritional info:

Screenshot_20200102-174542.png

But yes, I understand wanting to be cautious!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cayenne actually does burn the skin and is even worse on mucous membranes (like in the stomach, nose, mouth). I will not and never have fed cayenne. I have given up arguing with people about cayenne, but it is in my classification of a very, very old fashioned home remedy that is harmful. Sort of like that grapefruit oil stuff that it was determined that the only thing in it that disinfected was the stuff in it that preserved it.
I didn't know that! I've known Cayenne to have anti inflammatory properties, but whenever you eat it, it really agitates my stomach ulcers. I thought I was doing myself a favor by eating it but now I know. I've recently just drawn the comparison between cayenne and my stomach irritation. As far as Java is concerned, is it just cayenne that irritates or hot peppers in general? He really likes green chili peppers, and if they are a better option, I'll incorporate those more regularly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Green Chilis like Anaheims, have very little Capsaicin (what makes chilis hot) in them. Actually, some of the other chilis that have what we humans consider a lot of capsaicin aren't hot at all to birds. Birds have only about 350 taste buds compared to a human's 9,000.

Bell peppers have no capsaisin in them, but have all the other good stuff tha chilis have.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have used their food in the past for several years for my past parrotlet.

I have never had any issues with it. He loved the Fiesta on the Fly.

They have been around a very long time. But in your case, stick to what works for you and Java bean. Stick with your foundation foods along with fresh fruits and veggies.

Nice to see you around again.

:marlenesmile:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Green Chilis like Anaheims, have very little Capsaicin (what makes chilis hot) in them. Actually, some of the other chilis that have what we humans consider a lot of capsaicin aren't hot at all to birds. Birds have only about 350 taste buds compared to a human's 9,000.

Bell peppers have no capsaisin in them, but have all the other good stuff tha chilis have.
Awesome! He REALLY loves Serrano peppers! Those are the first to go when I put them in his dish.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have used their food in the past for several years for parrotlet.

I have never had any issues with it. He loved the Fiesta on the Fly.

They have been around a very long time. But in your case, stick to what works for you and Java bean. Stick with you foundation foods along with fresh fruits and veggies.

Nice to see you around again.

:marlenesmile:
Yeah, I think I'll stick to his staples which are veggies, fruits, grains, healthy seeds, nuts, and using TOPS and Harrison's to fill in any gaps. After the last hiccup, I'm more inclined to rely on fresh local foods, even though some days I get a little lazy, that's where pellets and seeds come in :D
It feels good to be back!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just cause they can't necessarily get a hot mouth with little heat sensitive nerves does not mean that it can't hurt them. They can't tell you what is too hot or causes them a stomach ache. I'm careful with hot peppers as Penny supposedly got some ulcers when she would handle the pepper juice on her feet. So I really don't give her whole peppers & am careful with her. She gets a mild form when she gets a peice of eggwhite or some food I cook but not straight pepper oil. Cayenne is a weird pepper..it is an annum I think like jalapeno & serrano but they all have different scovill/heat levels. I myself also like the habaneros or similar ones in the chinenis genus better for flavor & heat but I mostly just get some jalapenos from TJ's & am happy with that since I don;t grow my Caribbean Red;s anymore (once hottest in the world but now they have some so hot that can do damage Ghosts etc & those above 1 million...Caribbean Red pepper & Red Savina & Chcoolate habs plants (Capsicum chinense "Caribbean Red" they can come in 200 to 500K), an extremely spicy version of the habanero pepper, clocks in at up to 445,000 Scoville units. In contrast, the hottest cayenne peppers reach only 70,000 units on this heat-measuring scale. Jalapeno/ serrano heat is 10K/20K so a hot cayenne is like a Thai pepper.. .

Mmmm....love some of the more rare ones...Rocotto...etc...Yummy...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I looked at one of the blends; it had too many grains for me to feed. Most captive parrots (especially those that don't free fly) simply don't burn enough calories to justify those carbs.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have bought it several times and tango loves it. It is not a staple to his diet but a nice treat occasionally.

WindGlider

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara McQuirns
I buy from them often and almost always receive "Freebies" and a lovely thank you note in the box. I've ordered everything from toys, treats to food from them.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I buy from them often and almost always receive "Freebies" and a lovely thank you note in the box. I've ordered everything from toys, treats to food from them.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick with what I've been feeding Java, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.