• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone harness trained their conure?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just ordered an aviator harness for my GCC but I dont know if I'll ever get it on him. I made him a little scarf and he will put his head through for a treat and he will leave it on for a few seconds if I offer him multiple treats in my palm but even with the treats he backs out of it eventually. I also got him a hoodie. I was hoping he'd wear it when I have to bring him out in the winter months but he can't push his head through the hole and he won't let me wiggle him through by his beak. It's the right size, I actually got him a size up thinking it'd be easier to get it on him the first few times but he doesn't push his head through hard enough. I've only been working with him on this for a couple weeks but I just don't think he's going to like wearing anything :( I really want to at least get him harness trained since it could come in handy one day if I need to harness him for whatever reason. Has anyone had success getting their conure to wear anything at all? Any tips for training? Thanks

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think you are on the right track! Giving him lots of positve reinforcement and not forcing him:) I was harness training Blue, BCC, I got about as far as you came, he put his head through the head part and would stay there if I ordered enough treats. I had to stop though as he does not live with me and all that. I have seen Some conures on the forum wearing harnesses, so it is possible! Maybe they have Some advice:)

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
It is most certainly possible. My blue crown conure was harness trained :) Now my green cheek I had previously refused and wanted nothing to do with it. He would literally just lay flat on his back and refuse to move until it was taken off....

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It is most certainly possible. My blue crown conure was harness trained :) Now my green cheek I had previously refused and wanted nothing to do with it. He would literally just lay flat on his back and refuse to move until it was taken off....
That's what I'm worried about, even if I manage to get it on him he might just hate it. He's young still so I hope I can at least get him to be ok with it. I've never trained a bird before so I'm worried that if I make a mistake he'll hate the harness forever and be afraid of it.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
yeah mine was younger as well but he was never really a fan of being handled as it is. He wanted to interact with people but really didn't like being touched. I think that was his problem.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
yeah mine was younger as well but he was never really a fan of being handled as it is. He wanted to interact with people but really didn't like being touched. I think that was his problem.
My GCC loves being scratched all over his neck and face and he even shoves his head between my fingers as if they were a shirt collar lol so I'm hoping once I get it on him (if ever) he'll find it comforting, like being between my fingers. I just did a session with him and I definitely saw an improvement even from the session I just did a couple hours ago. I found out how he likes me to hold the hoodie and is sticking his head further in, so fingers crossed!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We are in the process of harness training Nanday Buddy. We've gotten to the harness being over his head..but that's it right now. Much biting, squawking, grumbling, and giving us the "look of death" going on.

He's a work in progress...;)

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I have! It is most definitely possible, just takes patience and persistence haha. Grumbles still chews on it a lot, and doesn't love when it is being put on, but he loves being outside. It is so worth it! If you want me to explain how I trained him I will also. Color can be a huge factor!! At first he had a blue one but was terrified of it! So I exchanged it for a green one and no problem.
Pictures of Grumbles outside in his harness, that I took last week :)
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 5.03.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 5.03.31 PM.png

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If you want me to explain how I trained him I will also. Color can be a huge factor!! At first he had a blue one but was terrified of it! So I exchanged it for a green one and no problem.
Oh no I got him a blue one lol he doesn't seem to have a color preference with his toys or anything so I hope he'll be ok. He loves to watch out the window so I'd love to be able to bring him for walks when the weather cooperates, there's a nice park a couple blocks from me that I'd bring him to.

Please tell me how you trained him, and how long did it take?

He's so adorable sitting in that tree :xflove:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Oh no I got him a blue one lol he doesn't seem to have a color preference with his toys or anything so I hope he'll be ok. He loves to watch out the window so I'd love to be able to bring him for walks when the weather cooperates, there's a nice park a couple blocks from me that I'd bring him to.

Please tell me how you trained him, and how long did it take?

He's so adorable sitting in that tree :xflove:
I don't know exactly how long it took because of the blue harness fiasco, but I would say a few months. :)
I started by letting him get used to the harness, getting him to touch it with his beak, step over it, etc. Everytime he did a good action I rewarded him with a safflower seed or other treat. I then made a huge loop, big enough for him to run under, and placed a seed on the other side- so he had to run under the loop to get the seed. This helped create a foundation for the head loop training. After he was used to being around the harness and such, I began to teach him to put his head through the loop. I started by using the leash part to make a loop (the green part of the leash though) so that if he freaked out I could just let go of the loop. To train him to put his head through; I either held a seed or put one on the other side of the loop, so the only way to get the seed was to put his head through the loop. Once he was comfortable with doing that, I gradually reduced the loop size, until it was the size of the actual head loop. I then taught him to keep his head in the loop for a bit by continuing to give him seeds while he had his head in the loop.
Grumbles is very tame and is completely okay with me touching/moving his wings and such, and I can easily hold him in my hand without a complaint. But after I trained the head loop, I taught him to be okay with the harness touching him and rubbing against him. Especially so on his back, stomach, and wings. Then one day I took a chance, and let him put his head through the loop, then, while leaving it loose, putting the harness under the wings as it would be put on. I just didn't tighten it. I gave him a treat then after a few seconds carefully took it off. To this day he is okay with putting it on until I have to tighten it, then he tries to bite. But when it is on and we are outside that is forgotten haha. It almost helps if you have another person to help tighten while you hold it in place, or train your bird to be okay with putting it on while on a perch. Grumbles likes to be held in my hand to put it on so it is hard sometimes, but manageable.
The main thing is positive reinforcement, basically reward any and all good behaviors and ignore the bad. Also, don't end on a bad note- always end on a good happy note. This will help with future training sessions.

I think I covered everything, if I missed something or you have any questions let me know! :)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks! I'm doing almost the axact same thing with his hoodie now (his harness should be here by Friday). I think I'll be able to get his head through the loop but I'll have to work on keeping him from backing out of it after he grabs his treat.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Thanks! I'm doing almost the axact same thing with his hoodie now (his harness should be here by Friday). I think I'll be able to get his head through the loop but I'll have to work on keeping him from backing out of it after he grabs his treat.
Good luck! That was hard to do for Grumbles but he eventually figured it out. :)

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
UPDATE: he has put his head all the way through his hoodie! He will leave it on for a few seconds if I offer multiple treats at a time, he won't wait for me to grab another treat and give them one by one. Now I can't figure out how to get him to keep his head in there

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Charlie wasn't wearing a harness until he was 11 or 12 years old. He's 23 now. (I've had him since he was 12 - his foster parents before me used a harness with him) To my knowledge, he was never really trained to wear it, it was just put on and he was okay with it. Now, if we are inside, he does want it off, but outside, he *usually* leaves it alone. If we're staying in one place, then he may actually pick at it.

If your conure will wait 1 second for a treat, then feed a treat every 1 second. Then try every 2 seconds... every 3 seconds, and so forth. *slowly* build up the time he has to wait for a treat.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I tried with Bird. It did not work. He has hated few things less. I tossed it when I found out my husband was using it to scare Bird off his shoulder. It was actually a flight suit. And in retrospect may have had a better chance at success if not for my husband.
I can see why it didn't work with Bird.

Not a nice thing that your hubby did...:(

sylven

Meeting neighbors
mine hates hers , had it nearly 2 months & never got it on yet, i think its all the messing about putting it on, might buy a flight suit , looks a lot easier

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
D5EFE626-D944-4B74-B27C-617132A95EB5.jpg 7B624680-8CB5-46CA-A35E-2CF2A84D05BE.jpg

I guess I was rather more fortunate that Pipsqueak (GCC) is more cooperative than Melon my IRN.. For him, he still has a fit when taking off the harness which we are still working on getting it down. I tend to reward him once he is in his harness, and I also reward him again once we get home and we take his harness off. It took me about 2-3 weeks. With my IRN, it took about 2-3 maybe about 4 months for her to finally let me take her harness on and off. They both love almonds and walnuts so they know that's what they'll be getting if they didn't throw a tantrum!
:lol:

They both do not like the flightsuit at all... :( so I had given up on it because they just would not tolerate it. No matter how gradually I go. So harness it is for them.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The harness came yesterday and he came over and touched it and will stick just the very tip of his beak through the head opening to reach a treat. He also loves walnuts so that what I usually use, he's gonna turn into a very fat bird lol. I haven't really looked into the flight suits, they look more uncomfortable to me and I think I'll have an easier time getting the harness on him. The video I saw for the flight suits you have to pick the bird up and get their feet through the leg holes, just seems like more of a hassle. I'll use whatever he's more comfortable in, I just want to be able to bring him outside.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
The harness came yesterday and he came over and touched it and will stick just the very tip of his beak through the head opening to reach a treat. He also loves walnuts so that what I usually use, he's gonna turn into a very fat bird lol. I haven't really looked into the flight suits, they look more uncomfortable to me and I think I'll have an easier time getting the harness on him. The video I saw for the flight suits you have to pick the bird up and get their feet through the leg holes, just seems like more of a hassle. I'll use whatever he's more comfortable in, I just want to be able to bring him outside.
I feel you, esp when they can flip the bird right on their backs and I'm looking at the two that come outside with me and I'm just kinda :backout::scared5: esp because I see Melon giving me her Evil Bird eye