• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Has anyone had a bird with a toe injury that chewed their toe back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
My Senegal had a toe nail injury that resulted in a trip to the vet. A day later we were sent home with a cauterized nail. All was fine until in the middle of the night she chewed the remaining nail out. We kept trying to keep her from it but she had also chewed some of the toe back. Upon another trip to the vet, she was bandaged up. No more access to the wound and is on pain and antibiotic meds. Has anyone experienced this? My question is that once the toe has healed and shows no injury, will she leave it alone? The nail is not going to grow back but her toe will still be strong. I just don't want her to mess with the healed toe.
Any input?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once the toe is healed it will be fine. She will leave it alone. While it's healing it gets itchy. That's why they pick at it. Also the reason for bandaging it up so they can't get at it. The toe will be just as strong as it was before. Just no nail to grab with. She will learn to compensate for that and you will not even know she had the injury unless you look at it. Which toe was it?

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
Thanks John, you have been a big help in me dealing with all of this! I feel much better since she has been bandaged up. I had to reinforce it once and I'm sure will have to again. They gave me extra, but I am getting more vet wrap from a friend in the horse business. Thank you!

SallyPax

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelley and Valerie
It was on her left foot and it was her longest toe. Before it was bandaged she would climb a little with ease even though I'm sure it hurt. I bet it will take some practice! But she's tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.