• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone got any tips for a first time pi owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tikitiel

Meeting neighbors
Hello
So a couple weeks ago I ordered two baby pionuses they arrived today does anyone have any tips?
Thier cage size is 30x30x32 they have a ton if toys mostly yucca and other easily shredded toys also a couple foraging toys
For both and a huge variety of perches(i made sure it wasn’t so crammed in there) also im wondering what I should feed them if anyone has any chop recipe for pionuses should i be aware of anything? And are they good free fliers?

Attachments

maggock

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My WCP is a very interesting bird. She doesn't really liked to be touched or pet like my conure and caique, but does want to be out with us (mostly my husband!) Just be aware that they will not be very hands-on birds, most likely, most I've seen and heard about are extremely independent. Her favorite toys have soft wood and textures, like balsa, yucca, and pine cut on the bias. She also likes to chew on plastic.

She also in general just really likes food and is a good eater. I give her pellets and a dried chop mix (from Chrstine's Chop Shop or Karen's freeze dried veggies) and she also gets fresh veggies, usually just whatever I'm eating, and also some fresh fruit occasionally. The only thing she's turned her nose up at so far is strawberries. She is my only bird that I really have to watch her weight and make sure she doesn't get fat! She was also a really good baby and didn't regress at all.

She is free flighted and usually a good flyer, but she has had an accident in the past where she tried to fly through a sliding glass door and hit her head (thankfully okay!) and now we try to keep windows and that door visually blocked. Otherwise she's very good at navigating doors and halls.

One last thing to be aware is my WCP is VERY unfriendly towards my other birds. She is already a grumpy old lady who only wants to sit with her boyfriend (my husband). So you should probably watch for aggression towards other birds when yours get older, and never leave them alone in a room with other birds.

Tikitiel

Meeting neighbors
My WCP is a very interesting bird. She doesn't really liked to be touched or pet like my conure and caique, but does want to be out with us (mostly my husband!) Just be aware that they will not be very hands-on birds, most likely, most I've seen and heard about are extremely independent. Her favorite toys have soft wood and textures, like balsa, yucca, and pine cut on the bias. She also likes to chew on plastic.

She also in general just really likes food and is a good eater. I give her pellets and a dried chop mix (from Chrstine's Chop Shop or Karen's freeze dried veggies) and she also gets fresh veggies, usually just whatever I'm eating, and also some fresh fruit occasionally. The only thing she's turned her nose up at so far is strawberries. She is my only bird that I really have to watch her weight and make sure she doesn't get fat! She was also a really good baby and didn't regress at all.

She is free flighted and usually a good flyer, but she has had an accident in the past where she tried to fly through a sliding glass door and hit her head (thankfully okay!) and now we try to keep windows and that door visually blocked. Otherwise she's very good at navigating doors and halls.

One last thing to be aware is my WCP is VERY unfriendly towards my other birds. She is already a grumpy old lady who only wants to sit with her boyfriend (my husband). So you should probably watch for aggression towards other birds when yours get older, and never leave them alone in a room with other birds.
Alr thx so much i was planning on getting an intepndent bird for a while

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Is that a current photo? To me the chest is not even fully feathered. Those birds may not be fully weaned.
Pleasr be ready & able to offer hand feeding if the need should arise as some don;t wean til 3 or 4 mo.
I'm thinking if the photo is current they may be in the 8 week or even less range in that photo.

Good luck with them they are adorable.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm starting to wonder if this poster is for real.
They have so many species from Tiels to Palms, Greys to Caiques.
With so many birds, it's odd they seem so inexperienced.
Babies coming in the multiples.
Accidents happening.
Asking for help, then saying they'll help others.
They are just so all over the place my Spidey sense is jumping off the deep end.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OP is no longer a member.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
:wideyed: I've seen that towel. I know what breeder that is. As far as I can tell she has not bred in a few years was taking a break.
I thought it a bit odd to see a photo that may go back about 5 years.
It's a screenshot from a 2016 video.

Status
Not open for further replies.