• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone ever done their own DNA test on their bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Im curious about Chloe's gender. The people I got her from were not sure...one thought male and one thought female. But being a clear pied, there really is no way to tell visually. Also, not knowing her age, we cant use the "she's never laid any eggs before" argument, because she may still be very young, and not in egg laying mode yet...or may never lay eggs, and still be female. So the only way to know for sure would be a dna test. I dont want to put her in the same cage as Cinder if she is a "he" because I REALLY dont want babies! So, I should find out for sure. The vet charges $50 to do the test, but I know you can get a kit and do it yourself for like $20 or $25 right? How hard is it to do? Im nervous. Anybody have an experience with this one way or the other? thanks!!

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I've always ordered the kit and did it myself and then sent it in.

It isn't that difficult. Make sure you have something to stop bleeding before you start. Clip the toenail... just a bit off the tip. Just back a bit more then what you would to do a regular nail clip. Don't go too far back, just a hair.. squeeze the toe a bit to see if any blood is coming. If none, then clip just a tiny bit more... doesn't take much. Then once you get some blood coming, dab the corner of the sample card they give you. Let it dry, fill out information along with payment and send it off.

Just make sure you don't go back too far and that you have something to stop the bleeding once you get the blood you need.

I've done this for 10-15 birds so far and never had a problem.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I would do it yourself. The vets way over charge for this. :)

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I did it with Razzle, my Jenday. He was going to the vet for his checkup and I just asked them if they could drop a few drops of blood on the card while tey were doing his nails. They did..LOL Then, I mailed it off to the lab.

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Okay, sounds like its not too difficult. I just ordered a kit. Hopefully I can do it myself and save some money. Thanks for the info!

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
We also used avianbiotech.com and had the resulted e mailed to us 3 days after we sent the sample in.

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
I'm to chicken. I'm going to get Simon checked by the vet on the 24th. We have no idea for sure if he's male or female or anything else for that matter ,poor baby. I just love him to pieces.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I didnt want to do it to my own birds. The local birdstore/groomer here charges 25 to do it. They clip the nail a little too short and take some, then stop the bleeding. I did 2 of mine..Jaden and Mika. Cloud was surgically sexed through his breeder. Lizzy and Stormy were done by checking the width of the hipbones (which isnt very accurate) but in my case lizzys breeder was right.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I misread your thread title! I thought you were asking if anyone has actually conducted the DNA test (to determine the sex). I guess you were talking about collecting the feather sample to send it off to get it analyzed? I haven't heard of anyone being able to do the actual test themselves, but pulling out a few feathers is not hard at all. Just don't be nervous or unsure about it. I kept my birds occupied with their favorite toy or nut, and then held just one chest feather and pulled it very quick. They didn't even notice. They ask for a few feathers. I think I sent 3...used avianbiotech and got the result in a few days via email too. SO nice to know!

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Thanks everyone. Avian Biotech is the company I reqested the blood card from. Monica, I asked for the blood card instead of the one for feathers. Just seemed easier to do one nail than several feathers? Anyway, glad you all have been happy with this company and that the results come quickly. Im so anxious to know....:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.