• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone else given up on the idea of adopting a rescue/ rehomed Grey? What was your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Brittany0208 Where did I ask for advice? Please reread the title of this thread.

@hrafn what is impolite or repugnant about asking someone to stick to the Topic and not personal attacks.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Please peddle this crap somewhere else down the road. This always happens. Two, three, four, etc... decide to gang up on somebody, for no other reason, than she had rejected your "advice". Now go ahead and report me, which is another thing you're good at doing.

See, that is a personal attack. Not hearing what you want to hear and being told things contrary to your ideas, however, is not.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 Where did I ask for advice? Please reread the title of this thread.

@hrafn what is impolite or repugnant about asking someone to stick to the Topic and not personal attacks.
The title of this thread. it warrants opinions, but don't worry, since you're so sensitive, this will be my very last post to you. I'm not going to kiss your a*s because you want to hear something different. I gave you insight that not all pre-used animals/birds are impossible to work with or around, hoping to enlighten you, but I guess I wasted my time.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mocking someone and calling them a troll is a personal attack. What has Brittany said that was off-topic? She's given her experience with rehomed birds, as mentioned in the title of your thread.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
See, that is a personal attack. Not hearing what you want to hear and being told things contrary to your ideas, however, is not.

Un huh, sure, whatever you say painesgrey. This is like dealing with seventh graders.

I like talking to fair minded adults, who know when enough is enough. I think I will go out and find some.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Erikalynnha i have had and will only have African Greys. I have used them for therapy for many years and will continue to do so. I’m afraid I would have to ask what the child had previously done to the Grey. I’ve known many humans who claim an animal attacked for no reason only to be shown video of their child abusing the animal.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Don't bother, they have their minds made up to torment today. They are both acting like a couple of cats batting around a mouse. The post will get pulled. Wait for some other reasonable souls to come on and comment.

Nice to meet you, and Welcome to the Site! LOL!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Un huh, sure, whatever you say painesgrey. This is like dealing with seventh graders.

I like talking to fair minded adults, who know when enough is enough. I think I will go out and find some.

You're contributing nothing to the discussion and merely fanning the flames. How about you get off your high horse and look in the mirror before you start calling people immature?

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@hrafn where did I call anyone a Troll? I said people are “Trolling”. There is a difference. Isn’t that what you just jumped in to do? Or do you really expect us to believe you aren’t trying to start an argument. If your comment doesn’t pertain to your experience with obtaining a Grey from a source other than a breeder it will be ignored. Good day.

Sylvester

Hit the Road

You're contributing nothing to the discussion and merely fanning the flames. How about you get off your high horse and look in the mirror before you start calling people immature?

How about you getting off my a$$ and staying off of it? You and that hyena pack your run with, do nothing but harass new members. I can always count on a good pile on with every cat thread posted.

Now don't notify me again.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Morning everyone. It seems to me you are after a working bird rather than just a family bird. I think you should look into other options as you said. I see your point that it is tricky to have a Grey that swears or says rude things if you are taking it out. A bird can be retrained to say '..my finger, digger, dinner etc however it takes time which you may not have. I don't think a baby would be a good choice as a working bird either as they aren't confident enough and may stress badly.
The problem is that birds don't come as ordered. A quiet bird may become loud or bite, a non talker may suddenly say something which happened with my 4yo Caique, there is really no guarantee. It would take many months, possibly years to get a parrot to accept going out, being handled by strangers in a strange environment as well as acclimatise to your home. I haven't declined to work with a bird based on their personality but I am not after a trained working bird. Perhaps look up some trainers who do what you wish to do and get pick their brains for information. Good luck. :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
OK ENOUGH!!!!!!! I will close this thread if it continues to be so disrespectful!!!!!!! You say that You have had and will only have Greys Did you get them as babies or rehomes/rescues? Were they good therapy birds? Do you require them to be touchable to be therapy birds? I have 9 greys here most of them I have raised since they were small babies.2 have been rehomed after they were at least 15 years old.Maybe My birds are at a disadvantage because they do not see many people or children in their daily lives. Not one of my greys would I consider to be a therapy bird! Not even when they were young and had a lot of human interaction!IN answer to your question--NO I took in the 2 that needed new homes,one of them hates me and will bite every chance he gets-BUT he is delightful with his chatter/singing/whistling! The other is totally hands off but he is a delight in the way he plays and enjoys life! Maybe you do need to get a baby-but-that also does not guarantee what you are hoping the bird to be!

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@Les charlson Thank you I’m looking for a Male Grey who can take on both roles. My last Grey passed 5 years ago and I’ve missed the beauty and conversation. Each Grey chose me and were all outgoing and friendly. Compatibility is key. I hoped to find a rescue Grey this time but since that hasn’t worked I now plan on obtaining a weaned babe from a breeder. As with all therapy animals he must be in my home for at least a year in order to even start official training.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
@ncGreyBirdLady I’ve had two in my life. Both came from breeders as unweaned babes. The first was a gift to my family. Only the second was a therapy bird and the children loved him as they do my other therapy animals. Both of them were outgoing enough to demand shoulder from everyone I know.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like your needs are specific enough to warrant getting a baby and raising it very carefully - lots of exposure to new people and places, being very careful about what language it is exposed to and similar. If you're dealing with children, vulnerable people and official bodies then a bird that has an unknown past may not be suitable for your needs.

And I agree, you can't blame the bird for being raised among horrible or stupid people who think it's clever/funny/appropriate to teach a bird to use racist language or swear. The poor bird has no idea what these terms mean, only that they get a response. Of course time and patience and a lot of reinforcement can teach a bird that other words and noises get an even better response, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to not feel equipped to take on that project.

This is particularly the case if the bird is shouting a slur that describes you or a member of your family. I'm not white and I'm queer: I'd find it immensely difficult to hear racist or homophobic language from a parrot in my house that I've heard shouted at me in the streets and when I've been scared that I'll be attacked or threatened. Of course a bird can be steadily trained out of it, but I think my responses to hearing such language would be such that I wouldn't be the right person to re-educate that bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My quaker burps and laughs... Been around too many grandkids at my mother in laws now - we definitely didn't set out to teach him that!

It's unfortunate that so many people do this, as it definitely affecte their chances of rehoming! Yes they can be trained out of it but it can take years and I'm sure you wouldn't be welcomed back if your parrots shouted racial slurs in front of a bunch of children!

African Greys aren't a species I would want personally, but I have met a few for adoption and they didn't have bad vocabularies. That was some years ago though.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I am going to state my own opinion here, please understand that this is not an attack in any way. I'm simply stating my beliefs and some facts on these birds.
Greys pick up all sorts of sounds in their environment and you are never going to find a grey that doesn't make inappropriate noises. No matter if they're a rescue passed through drug deals or the angel baby that you hand raise yourself. No matter how controlled the environment, someone will make a noise you do not like and a grey will pick up on that in no time. Especially is this bird is to be exposed to many different people every day. I do not believe any greys to be therapy birds and a vast majority are extremely hands-off birds. They are very high-strung animals that need to have a very stable environment. They do not like to cuddle, they don't like to sit around doing nothing, and they are not going to be quiet when you want them to be.
You said you had a grey previously, and I am very sorry for your loss of him/her. It sounds like he/she was a wonderful companion to be around. I understand that you want to get a bird that would be good around children and would be good around people who need therapy animals. Children are unpredictable and people who don't know about parrots aren't going to be able to learn how to handle them after a short introduction to the bird. It takes months if not years of learning from correct and informed resources to be able to know how to read parrots and respect what they portray through their body language. The bird will act out if anyone does anything that the parrot finds upsetting, and this can result in a nasty bite.
Also, please do not get a bird with a million expectations for them. If you have high expectations when it comes to parrots, you'll only be let down. No bird is perfect, hand raised or passed through many homes, and everyone interested in bird has to be sure they understand this before getting one. If you want to keep your expectations, which would be a must if you're to have this bird around and handled by non-bird-people, you'll need to spend so much time training. If you are busy and have less than several hours a day to work with them and reinforce the behaviors you want, this won't work. If you don't keep up with training and constantly reinforce these "good" behaviors, then the "bad" will begin to come back. Birds need time and if you don't have the time for a bird that is going to need to have very specific and important training, it's not going to work.

Long story short, there is no grey (or parrot, for that matter) out there that will be perfect. There's no bird that is going to never make any obtrusive sounds, never bite anyone who they "decide" isn't good, and always want to be touched and cuddled and moved around all the time. It takes time and training to get a bird to do certain things and even after training there will still be many "bad" behaviors that are just bird behaviors. Many things in parrots cannot be untrained.
And what happens if the bird you hand raise and train for years turns out to hate other people and isn't comfortable with them? If they learn an awful sound that you cannot un-train? Will you continue to love that bird unconditionally or will he/she end up in a rescue for the nest decade waiting for someone to come along? If you get a bird just for one purpose and they do not fulfill that designated purpose, what will become of them?
If you want to train a therapy animal, I would highly suggest either going for a smaller bird that can't do as much damage or just avoiding parrots altogether. They are very amazing animals but I personally don't believe any species, hang raised or rescued, are fit to be therapy animals. I truly don't mean to sound harsh in any of this, but this is the basic truth that I see to this situation. And I can only imagine it ending badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.