• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone dealt with this breeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kebz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Emily
Solely Solomon Aviaries in Texas?

A lady on another forum purchased a female ekkie from this lady and apparently it was hand fed or reared except the ekkie is extremely aggressive and is apparently 5 months old. The ekkie was shipped to her so i dont think she interacted with the bird before buying it...

The breeder reckons it will take 30, 60 or 90 days for the ekkie to warm up to its new owner which seems rediculous.

So does anyone have knowlege of this breeder? Good or bad reviews welcome.

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
I know it took Gypsy a couple years before she finally accepted me as part of her life. I also got her from a breeder who drove her to my house. We have to remember that while we wait, plan, and anticipate their arrival...this is unexpected and unwelcomed for the ekkies.

They are suddenly removed from everything and everyone that is comfortable and safe to them. They are handled by numerous people through the shipping process (imagine what they think when plane engines ROAR and they are all alone) and then end up at a strange place with strange people they've never seen before.

We tend to forget their fear and confusion because of our long awaited excitement. I don't think 3 months is too long for the baby to adjust at all. Don't forget how intelligent these creatures are. I have no doubt the aggressiveness is fear based and not anger related.

P.S. I should note that the person who purchased Gypsy's sister returned her to the breeder within 2 months for aggression as well. I think the key is patience.

Tell your friend to spend time with the baby while the baby is safe in its cage. Don't push the one-on-one contact. Offer treats through the cage each time he comes in for quality time together. This will let the baby know this stranger isn't so bad after all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.