• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

has anyone added a webcam to a nest box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdtoyman

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sam H
Apparently my Green Cheek breeders are only capable of feeding 2 babies at a time. If a 3rd one is born one of the 3 will disappear (dead and gone). We check the nest box every couple of days but haven’t been able to catch this in time. After this clutch I plan on pulling the nest box and giving them some rest. I was thinking of adding a webcam, so as soon as a 3rd chick is born I can pull the first one and so forth. Has anyone ever tried to add a webcam to a small wooden nest box?
I know how to add it, but wonder if there will be enough light for me to actually see whats going on?

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
Sam,
I have not done this yet but have been thinking of doing this with some of my breeders.
I know there are some webcams that have night vision build in and that should do the trick.
Good luck and keep me updated.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I had always considered on doing a camera in a nest box or two but never did. I think you actually need to have the infrared type of camera because it being fairly dark in a nest box.

Yolanda

Checking out the neighborhood
I do; I use the SWANN wireless cameras, there are easy to install. It has saved me a lot of babies and eggs

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
A webcam may not eliminate the problem of the disappearing baby. From personal experience some pairs will only raise a certain amount of babies, no matter what you do. Since this pair has a history of raising 2 babies you'll have to work around that. A couple things you can do is if you have another pair setup, foster the 3rd egg. OR, if you have an incubator, watch as each egg is layed, pull the 3rd egg, incubate and hatch, and when it hatches swap this baby out for the oldest baby to handfeed.

If you can not find the missing baby in the nestbox...below is what may be happening...

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Susanne, that was very interesting!

Matt

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
A webcam may not eliminate the problem of the disappearing baby. From personal experience some pairs will only raise a certain amount of babies, no matter what you do. Since this pair has a history of raising 2 babies you'll have to work around that. A couple things you can do is if you have another pair setup, foster the 3rd egg. OR, if you have an incubator, watch as each egg is layed, pull the 3rd egg, incubate and hatch, and when it hatches swap this baby out for the oldest baby to handfeed.

If you can not find the missing baby in the nestbox...below is what may be happening...

I've found several like that :(

but as far as web cams - they make them with Night vision - which would most likely help with the lightening issue ;)

Peanut

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Denise
I also use the Swann wireless cams for foaling time around here. They work great and I dont need the overhead barn lights on so the mares still get a good nights sleep. They are about $80.00 ea.

Status
Not open for further replies.