• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone actually had Psittacosis??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Hi Everyone,(Is this in the right place to post this??) just wondered if anyone on AA has actually ever had it personally or thought they had it :confused::confused:

I know birds can transmit it easily to other birds but how easy is it for humans to catch it from birds? :huh::huh:

( :eek::eek: And no I don't I have it in case anyone was wondering!! :):) )

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I thought to have had it, had a few symptoms, but it ended up being a chest infection.

I was told it is easy for humans to catch, like if you have a low immune system, if you are elderly (apparently they are more susceptible), younger people I am not sure about, but it is probably possible, but not common.

However, I seen awhile ago on TV, a Vet (not an Avian Vet, just a normal Vet) said that he had Psittacosis, and had got through it fine, it was a long process, but he is okay now.

It is scary, especially since I have treated 2 different birds for it as well as my whole flock while I was at it, both times, to be safe. I guess I was fortunate enough to have caught it early and had both birds treated before I got it or even any of my other birds.

ETA: I found this..

There are many diseases that can be transmitted from pets to people - and vice versa. Most recently, Joe De La Garza, a 63-year-old father and Vietnam War veteran allegedly died of parrot fever, a fact that came out after his body was exhumed and tissue samples were sent to the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control in Atlanta. While extremely rare, it is definitely possible for people to get parrot fever, also known as psittacosis, from birds. An autopsy done on the bird, a cockatiel, did in fact find that the bird, purchased at PetSmart by the man's daughter, also died of parrot fever.

On June 30, ABC News reported that the family is suing PetSmart for Mr. Joe De La Garza's death.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I work with a lot of wild birds so I when I developed flu symptoms a few months ago they did blood tests for both Influenza A and B as well as Psittacosis.

All three came back negative.

However, Psittacosis has a 6 week "window period" where it won't show up in the blood. Since I've recently been very sick (again with flu symptoms), I'm having another Psittacosis blood test done.

I'm not sure how easily humans can catch it from birds though. I handle and medicate Psittacosis infected birds almost every week so I am way more susceptible to it than most people I guess.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
My Certified Avian Vet came down with Psittacosis....he recovered very nicely...thank goodness!:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yikes...down memory lane. Many years ago I was helping a friend by handling and giving the weekly shots to her birds that had this. I wound up with it. It has real bad flu like symptoms...and you feel so bad that you would wish someone would put you out of your misery. Treatment is simple though... 1 Doxycycline capsule per day for 10 days. Within the first 24 hours you feel like a new person.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
A friend of mine that does rescue had it. She was left with decreased lung function as a result. Almost an asthma like condition.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I've never had it, But I do have a bad Immune system. I have Graves Disease(a Thyroid disorder) which also is known as a Auto Immune disorder
the way all my doctors explained it to me is my own immune system attacks it self - Nice huh? -

but even with that I hardly ever get sick. In my 34 yrs of living I've been down right sick that i can remember 2 times I had pneumonia and one time I had Bronchitis I had Bronchitis for almost a year and that was taking meds. (before i ever knew about my thyroid) I don't get the common cold often even though all winter long I'd go outside with my hair still very wet, I'd get on the bus covered in icicles

and all of that was before birds, the pneumonia I got my Jr. Yr of high school right before Prom or home coming i forget which (still went was better by the time it came)

The bronchitis was back in 03

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Interesting info :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I was treated for it last winter but knew I didn't have it...they were grasping at straws in my situation.

I've known other people to have it as well and it doesn't sound like much fun and takes a lot of time to recover from. I think the hardest part of psitt is that doctors often don't even think to look for it and you can die if you aren't treated. Survival rate is near 100% if you're diagnosed in time. That's why it's so important to know the symptoms and tell your doctors that you have birds, so it doesn't get overlooked if you ever become ill and they can't diagnose it.

MollyMouse

However, Psittacosis has a 6 week "window period" where it won't show up in the blood. Since I've recently been very sick (again with flu symptoms), I'm having another Psittacosis blood test done.

I'm not sure how easily humans can catch it from birds though. I handle and medicate Psittacosis infected birds almost every week so I am way more susceptible to it than most people I guess.
Are you still feeling ill Kelsey??

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Just very, very tired. Luckily the fevers are gone! :D

I'll only get the Psittacosis results next week. I'm not really convinced I've got Psittacosis because I've read it gives you a pretty nasty cough, which I don't have at all.

I just hope we find out what's wrong soon. All the tests are costing a fortune! :eek:

MollyMouse

I really hope you feel better soon.:hug8: At least you can rule it out for sure once the results are in.

KanaBanana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christine
Wow, this is the first time I hear about psittacosis....Sounds very serious.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
I know this is an old old thread, but does anyone know if psittacosis presents with head/sinus congestion? Man I've been sick since last Saturday, bad cough/fever/headaches. I have a doctors appointment later today but I'm wondering about psittacosis. I started taking antibiotics that I had on hand, was feeling better, but I ran out and am now feeling much worse. My ears are clogged and I'm like partially deaf.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It's like having a very, very bad case of the flu. If you're going to be at the doctor's office, it never hurts to let them know that you have birds and are wondering about Psittacosis. Doctors don't generally check for it, so it's something to definitely mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.