• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Has any body seen a beak like this and poop this color?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Does her poop look normal?? And her beak .. Has any body seen or had experience with lower beak looking like this?? It looks like it is broken down to last layer. Any idea's? Any comments? Any experience with this? She will be going to the vet. I will call Monday. Just noticed it this evening.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The poop is potentially concerning, the urates are all over the place. They should be a bit more together.

As to the beak, which part are you concerned about?

download.png 01bb64_e596cb3aa4ee48d19b07166c1bc9de87_mv2.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you. The thinness of her lower beak.
Do you have a clearer pic of the beak? I can't see anything alarming but it is not the clearest of pics either so maybe you are seeing something I cannot see.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Do you have a clearer pic of the beak? I can't see anything alarming but it is not the clearest of pics either so maybe you are seeing something I cannot see.
I don't live with her so I cannot at this time. She is in possession of a family member but is my bird. Where I reside I unfortunately she is not allowed. I know it is not the best of pictures. It is so thin on the bottom beak where top beak meets that it is concerning. It it down to the last layer it is THAT thin. Im afraid if it breaks off because of how thin it is she *will have a long gap and not be able to close up that one side IF it breaks off. I know beaks are made out of the same material as human nails. It isn't the first second or third layer to come off I mean it is literally down to the last layer it is so thin. Ive seen beaks shed layers it happens but this is something, I think, totally different. Too many layers are gone and it is scary to me. Plus she is dipping her hard food in her water a lot and I don't like those two signs together along with her poop looking odd alongside her weight feels lighter. She doesn't feel as plump. Im actually feeling the breast bone. I do not remember feeling that last I saw her a week ago. I don't remember any of the things Im currently mentioning from a week ago! I contacted an avian vet via online inquiry for an appt. Very hard to find a real one in state I live .. Hoping they call Monday and take her in or I will call.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
This picture may be a tad clearer. I work at a dog grooming shop hence all the dog hair all over my black clothing. Please excuse.

Attachments

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
This is same beak side not that long ago. From this condition to the current condition I feel like something is wrong. Ive lost two birds over the years Charlie had a chronic illness and Patti come to find out had Cancer and Im kind of freaking out because of the beak to the stool to her not feeling as plump. It is upsetting :sad2:

Attachments

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I really really hope I am just overreacting. It very well could be that I am to.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I really do appreciate your thoughts and insight - Thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really wish I could help with either easing your worry or giving you solid feedback on what you are seeing, but I can't.
It sounds like a very good idea to get in to see the vet asap with the things you are seeing and especially if you are noticing major weight loss, probably more so concerning if you are noticing weight loss via body condition changes- do you know the actual amount of weight lost or are you just judging by condition?

I feel like @Macawnutz might be a good person to tag for beak help and other general health advice.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I really wish I could help with either easing your worry or giving you solid feedback on what you are seeing, but I can't.
It sounds like a very good idea to get in to see the vet asap with the things you are seeing and especially if you are noticing major weight loss, probably more so concerning if you are noticing weight loss via body condition changes- do you know the actual amount of weight lost or are you just judging by condition?

I feel like @Macawnutz might be a good person to tag for beak help and other general health advice.
I don't have a scale to weigh her but one is currently on the way. No, I don't have actual number I am judging by touching her. I do not remember feeling her breast bone. It isn't a prominent protrusion but it is touchable, if that makes sense. I had a plump little bird. A voracious eater. Now she's feeling less plump and dunking her hard foods - roudybush pellets, tortilla chips unsalted of course (she adores tortilla chips only reason she gets them), avi cakes into her water to finish eating them which is concerning to me and isn't something she's done in the past dunking food. Her caretakers made note of it to me about the food to water dunking, I noticed it yesterday evening and even my fiancé Adam noticed. He's concerned to. Yes, I agree, I welcome Sarah's advice. And any one else who wishes to contribute while I am waiting to get into the vet.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Her bottom beak is a whole different shape on that side. It's normal black beak with a nice curve in one picture from a month ago, if even that long ago, to yesterday evening she almost has a " L" shape to it from how badly it has thinned out. It's almost like when she closes her beak that one side top and bottom do not meet together any more because of the layers of beak missing, the " L" shape it has turned into and wear it is taking for whatever reason this is happening.

Attachments

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
The poop is potentially concerning, the urates are all over the place. They should be a bit more together.

View attachment 425106 View attachment 425105
I think I am going to order some of your balsa wood.

View attachment 425106 View attachment 425105
I know you are here in MI. May I ask what vet do you take your Jardine's parrot to?? In case the one I am trying to get into doesn't pan out. I used to order a lot of Balsa dinosaurs from you for my Amazon when her beak started going bad from cancer (unbeknownst at the time). I'm thinking of putting in a balsa toy order as well for my bird Im posting about concerning her beak.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think I am going to order some of your balsa wood.

I know you are here in MI. May I ask what vet do you take your Jardine's parrot to?? In case the one I am trying to get into doesn't pan out. I used to order a lot of Balsa dinosaurs from you for my Amazon when her beak started going bad from cancer (unbeknownst at the time). I'm thinking of putting in a balsa toy order as well for my bird Im posting about concerning her beak.
There's only one certified Avian vet in Michigan now, in Birch Run.

However, I'm about 3 hours from there, so I go to Dr. Peck, near Traverse City, here: Northern Michigan Veterinary Hospital | Williamsburg veterinary hospital

I've heard this one in Williamsburg is good:

If you're nearer to Ohio, there's a lot more options that way. If you're in the UP, I have no idea where to go.

I'm sorry about your Amazon :sadhug2:

My Jardine's has a scissorbeak that has to get trimmed every once in a while, so it grows up above his top beak. It is however not thinner than the rest of the beak. Dipping food in water is something all of my parrots have always done.

PXL_20230305_222800964~3.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Is it possible she has been chewing on cage bars? Had some stress?

If she wore it down rapid chew on something , or because of some e other reason affecting beak, there could be a little discomfort. So she is wanting softer foods. Or crop inflammation ( like yeast overgrowth it bacterial) makes them want softer food.

So offer some baked sweet potato served warm.., a little boiled egg, soften pellets in a little water or make a mash , but remove wet foods in half hour or so if not eaten. Offer smaller seeds those also might be easier to eat.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To me it looks like she's been raking the cage bars. I can see how it's split the bottom beak on the side. I'd offer soft foods for now. Cooked veggies, soaked pellets, etc. Could also be her hormones have kicked in & she's stressing. I'd also offer lots of wood toys for her to destroy. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Katie, breath.

This is not Charlie or Patti. Make the appointment for Monday and have your vet do CBC, Chem and fecal gram stains. The beak looks like it could use a cleanup but I'm not as concerned as you. Possibly go over diet with the vet IF it is thinner than it should be but I'm not thinking that to be the case. The other tests will let you know if you should be concerned with the poop but that could also be normal for her depending on the diet. You are not there right now so you are getting a snapshot. Breath. Timber is not going anywhere soon. :)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Katie, breath.

This is not Charlie or Patti. Make the appointment for Monday and have your vet do CBC, Chem and fecal gram stains. The beak looks like it could use a cleanup but I'm not as concerned as you. Possibly go over diet with the vet IF it is thinner than it should be but I'm not thinking that to be the case. The other tests will let you know if you should be concerned with the poop but that could also be normal for her depending on the diet. You are not there right now so you are getting a snapshot. Breath. Timber is not going anywhere soon. :)
THANK YOU. I appreciate all your insight. Thank you, thank you :)

Reactions: Biz