• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harry the Eclectus

Keeks315

Moving in
My boy Harry is a 8-9 year old Eclectus. I adopted him from a family who could no longer care for him 2 years ago. He came to me with arthritis on his left foot. Just last week he broke his left leg we are on the road to recovery. Slowly but surely. Now my question is, anything I should be doing to make things easier for Harry? He is in a smaller cage. Vet said no climbing for 6 weeks so I don't even have a stick for him to perch. He's eating great and is acting like his usual self. Anything I should know caring for an injured bird? He's not my first bird, but definitely my first injured bird to care for. Tips and advice are welcomed. I also opened a GoFundMe page to help with the vet bills. If anyone can spread the word and donate $1, I will greatly appreciate it
Fundraiser by Keeks Leon : Harry's Broken Leg

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Sorry that Harry got injured. Maybe you could put some extra layer of towels in one area of the cage so he can rest there or even roll up some towels for extra support.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum. I hope Harry gets well soon. Poor little birb.

:sadhug2:

I think I see a peanut in his enclosure. I can understand wanting to spoil a poor hurt bird with his favourite treats but please try to get peanuts out of his little bird diet. As you probably already know the Ekkie diet takes a lot of work to maintain. Please don't hesitate to look around the site or to ask questions. We are all here to help Harry :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here! Happy to see another ekkie join the AA flock!!!

Keeks315

Moving in
Welcome to the forum. I hope Harry gets well soon. Poor little birb.

:sadhug2:

I think I see a peanut in his enclosure. I can understand wanting to spoil a poor hurt bird with his favourite treats but please try to get peanuts out of his little bird diet. As you probably already know the Ekkie diet takes a lot of work to maintain. Please don't hesitate to look around the site or to ask questions. We are all here to help Harry :)

Wait, peanuts aren't good? ‍♀ He lovessss them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I hope your bird recovers quickly. Will he eat almonds or cashews?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thank you! May I ask you feed your Eclectus baby? Mine was fed seeds his whole life and I know for them that isn't good.
I stick with a mainly fresh fruit diet for Sergei and Lucy. I also offer them plenty of veggies everyday but they don't seem to eat as much of them as if like. I make fresh Birdie Muffins each week and give them each one every day so they eat the veggies ground up with their favorite fruits. I also grind up Harrison's pellets into a flour consistency and use that in place of flour in the muffins. They have access to the different seed/nut mixes that I have out, and Sergei will occasionally nibble on it a bit but Lucy won't touch it. She wants her fruits and muffins and that's about it. I do give them almonds and pecans in the shell a couple times a week as they enjoy "playing" with them, but it looks like most of the meat ends up on the floor with the broken shells. Apples, bananas, and berries (especially blueberries) are their favorite fruits.

Keeks315

Moving in
I stick with a mainly fresh fruit diet for Sergei and Lucy. I also offer them plenty of veggies everyday but they don't seem to eat as much of them as if like. I make fresh Birdie Muffins each week and give them each one every day so they eat the veggies ground up with their favorite fruits. I also grind up Harrison's pellets into a flour consistency and use that in place of flour in the muffins. They have access to the different seed/nut mixes that I have out, and Sergei will occasionally nibble on it a bit but Lucy won't touch it. She wants her fruits and muffins and that's about it. I do give them almonds and pecans in the shell a couple times a week as they enjoy "playing" with them, but it looks like most of the meat ends up on the floor with the broken shells. Apples, bananas, and berries (especially blueberries) are their favorite fruits.
Perfect! Lots of great ideas you have there. My Harry loves all kinds of berries so I actually just restocked on them. The pellets are definitely not even touched when I put some out. Harry also loves kale and sweet bell peppers. Is it true they can also eat spicy peppers? I read somewhere that parrots love them and don't have the same receptors as humans, so they actually tolerate the spice.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Yes that's right. Mine eat all kinds of peppers that would have me chugging a gallon of water!
Perfect! Lots of great ideas you have there. My Harry loves all kinds of berries so I actually just restocked on them. The pellets are definitely not even touched when I put some out. Harry also loves kale and sweet bell peppers. Is it true they can also eat spicy peppers? I read somewhere that parrots love them and don't have the same receptors as humans, so they actually tolerate the spice.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They're toxic to all birds. Avocados contain persin, which is lethal for avians.

Exactly! Humans are one of the few animals that can eat avocado. They are really dangerous to most animals.

Has anyone heard that Avocado's can kill Eclectus Parrots??
Keep the questions coming. In the meantime here is a helpful source.

fruitandveg

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
It's a shame growers can't produce an avocado without persin. They are so yummy!

Keeks315

Moving in
Welcome to AA. Sorry that Harry got injured. Maybe you could put some extra layer of towels in one area of the cage so he can rest there or even roll up some towels for extra support.
I took your advice and rolled up a small towel and Harry seemed so much happier that he can "perch"
Thank you!

Attachments