• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harry the Eclectus

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I took your advice and rolled up a small towel and Harry seemed so much happier that he can "perch"
Thank you!
That is so sweet :)

Peppercorn

Moving in
Thanks!
yea I was told that when I first bought my first Parrot but I've since been told that that info was wrong. You know how it goes... he says she says...

I've never given Avocado to my birds just in case.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: to you and Harry! OMG - I'm so sorry Harry broke his leg. Hoping it heals fast and well.

Re his arthritis: See if Harry likes walnuts too as they are rich in Omega 3 oils which are good for inflammation. You can also sprinkle freshly ground flaxseed over his food (especially rich in Omega 3). Turmeric might also help since it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Someone here recommended this product which contains the curcumin without the taste: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007Q7MU0S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have an elderly Amazon with arthritis. I keep him in his large cage but have made a padded platform for him. It's wood slats covered with non toxic upholstery foam, a towel and then dog pee pads which are easy to throw in the washing machine. Sometimes I add kitchen paper on top to absorb most of the poops.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I am trying some of Unapproved Vendor Dailies fruit and veggie style mashes for my crew. I know Newt and Angel will love them, but i'll have to wait and see what Sergei and Lucy think of them. I'm pretty sure Sergei will enjoy them but Lucy is basically a Fresh Fruit Only kind of gal. I want to try and mix more veggies into her diet and the Unapproved Vendor just may be the solution I've been looking for!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:welcome2: to you and Harry! OMG - I'm so sorry Harry broke his leg. Hoping it heals fast and well.

Re his arthritis: See if Harry likes walnuts too as they are rich in Omega 3 oils which are good for inflammation. You can also sprinkle freshly ground flaxseed over his food (especially rich in Omega 3). Turmeric might also help since it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Someone here recommended this product which contains the curcumin without the taste: Natural Factors Curcumin Rich Turmeric Root (30mg, 60 Vegetarian Capsules): Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

I have an elderly Amazon with arthritis. I keep him in his large cage but have made a padded platform for him. It's wood slats covered with non toxic upholstery foam, a towel and then dog pee pads which are easy to throw in the washing machine. Sometimes I add kitchen paper on top to absorb most of the poops.

Fuzzy, where did you find that foam? Is it the pink I see poking through? Monaco will benefit from that!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
If you can, put Harry's fruit and veggies on a s/s pan or birdie safe plate so he doesn't have to stretch to reach into a deep bowl. Chop everything bite sized so he doesn't need to hold anything with his good foot. Reduce high calorie snacks like seeds and nuts as they will only make him gain weight since he is pretty much immobilized. If you don't already, give him a little scrambled egg once or twice a week as the vitamin D is great for building strong bones. And of course, give Harry plenty of extra attention so he doesn't get bored!