• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's, RoudyBush or Top's?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I just had a very interesting conversation with the lady in the shop I always buy Harrison's pellets for my two Grays. She told me that RoudyBush and Top's are better pellets, because they do not contain sugar and salt. Both my birds eat now Harrison's High Pottency. Do you think it would be a good idea to slowly switch them to new pellets? Or maybe I could make a mix of those three pellets? What do you think?
Both birds eat veggies and fruits as well.
But both of them get sunflower seeds as rewards durign trainig. Now a little more because I train with them more.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think all three are good, but TOPs has no vitamin D3, that is no problem though if your birds go outside regularly/get sunlight throuh open window when cages. If you can get them to eat the otherpellets, that would be nice. Then you can offer a more varied diet, and switch the brand of pellets now and then. The nutritional values differ for all of them, so it provides different nutrition on some parts. Also, should they stop eating one of them because they don't like it anymore, you have a backup pellet.
Congratulations with your second grey btw!:)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I think all three are good, but TOPs has no vitamin D3, that is no problem though if your birds go outside regularly/get sunlight throuh open window when cages. If you can get them to eat the otherpellets, that would be nice. Then you can offer a more varied diet, and switch the brand of pellets now and then. The nutritional values differ for all of them, so it provides different nutrition on some parts. Also, should they stop eating one of them because they don't like it anymore, you have a backup pellet.
Congratulations with your second grey btw!:)
Thanks a lot :) . And good info about Tops and vitamin D3. Do you think it is a good idea to mix all three and give everything together?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I sometimes mix two together, or give it just one brand mixed with veggies and another brand in foraging toys, it depends on your birds I think. Mine get bored really quickly of pellets and then don't eat it anymore.
@Mizzely usually has great nutritional advice, she might have a better idea.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Of those three pellets, Harrison's is my favorite.

None of those pellets have sugar, but Harrison's and Roudybush contain Sodium selenite which IS a salt. Sodium is a necessary for normal cell functions, so a diet without any sodium is not good.

Now of course there are other sources of sodium, but these diets were created to be "complete".

TOPS does not have any added sodium, but it's not vitamin fortified either.

I don't see a problem with mixing 3 pellets as long as you are prepared to have waste. Also, id you replace 2/3rds of what you feed with a foreign food and they won't the new stuff, you may need to offer another bowl of what you know he'll eat so he doesn't go hungry.

scott199

Walking the driveway
i was reading something the other day regards the same type of thing, can't remember where but an avian vet wrote that only Harrisons HP is specifically designed more towards greys than most other pellets.

No idea how true or false, this thread just made me remember.

maybe other's could clarify or deny this, i don't have the knowledge to make an informed argument for or against.

i do know Harrison's HP and lifetime, only the Hp has grey listed on the "amount to feed" bit on the back.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Harrison's HP is the only one scientifically studied for use with African Greys I believe. Though Pretty Bird does have an African formula, too, I would consider Harrison's HP superior and more research based.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
My two get a mix of Harrison's high potency and Roudybush crumbles.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
So maybe I should stay with Harrison HP and not mix? Maybe it would be better not to change their diet? Could I keep them on Harrison HP always or should I change it for Harrison Life Time? Edgar is two and still on HP. Akira is four months old so HP for her for now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Our local rescue puts all birds in pellets and mixed several brands together.

I think switching or mixing is a good idea . If some ratio is a little off for your particular bird, maybe the other food will cover it . If that makes sense.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I also like mixing only because if a company goes under, or changes their formula, or for some reason you can't get their normal food or they stop eating it, it's nice to have a backup :)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I think switching or mixing is a good idea . If some ratio is a little off for your particular bird, maybe the other food will cover it . If that makes sense.
It makes perfect sense. Thanks.
I also like mixing only because if a company goes under, or changes their formula, or for some reason you can't get their normal food or they stop eating it, it's nice to have a backup :)
This is what made me thinking about mixing. The only shop in Poland which sells Harrison's now is out of stock. Of course I still have two bags (I always order when I have two bags left in case of situation like this). So this made me thinking and this conversation with the lady in the shop.
I will try with mixing. I will not give up on Harrison's completely, but I will add some Roudybush and Top's.
Thank all of you very much. I always can get help and an advice here.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I feed a mix of Roudybush and Higgins Intune pellets. I have tried all 3 of these pellets but mine wouldn't take to harrisons and I don't like that TOPS doesn't have added vitamins. I'd rather just be safe than sorry and feed vitamin fortified food to ensure they don't get any deficiencies etc. Obviously that is not all I feed mine either. I would say the healthiest pellet is the one they will eat which is better than no pellets lol.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I feed my flock of budgies a mix of Harrison's HP, Tops, and Mazuri pellets, in addition to fresh veggies and sprouts. They seem to enjoy the variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. I think it is better to offer more than one brand since I am feeding multiple birds and they have their own individual preferences. Some will pick through the mix for their favorites, but I know that they are all getting good nutrition AND a bit of extra "foraging" activity.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Not much help but I mix HP and lifetime about 60/40 (60hp)

In the early days he would avoid the lifetime but now he eats both the same, no good if you can’t get Harrison’s but it was a very easy transition for an hour extremely selective grey And if I find HP out of stock I can usually find lifetime or vice Versa

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
. I think it is better to offer more than one brand since I am feeding multiple birds and they have their own individual preferences.
I hear you there! Sometimes I think I should write down which bird picks out which food. Little rascals.

I don't like that TOPS doesn't have added vitamins.
I think TOPPS' point is that their food already has the nutrition, and it's not heat extruded so the vitamins are still present in the food hence they don't need to add vitamins. Something like that.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So maybe I should stay with Harrison HP and not mix? Maybe it would be better not to change their diet? Could I keep them on Harrison HP always or should I change it for Harrison Life Time? Edgar is two and still on HP. Akira is four months old so HP for her for now.
I do the mix, even though my two cockatiels and my Dove like the Harrison's better than the Roudybush. I do this because it is a lot harder to find the Harrison's locally than it is to find Roudybush. In the case that I can't find Harrison's, I have the Roudybush to fall back on.