• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

harrisons birdie bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
So i have a bag of the bread mix- i think i'll tackle making this tonight while i take pictures of my unidentified grains..
Looking for opionions.. Should i add extras to it or feed as is?
Harrisons says feel free to add extras but " once you add anything (fruits veggies etc) to the mix it should be fed only as a treat but baked as is can be up to 30% of your birds daily diet..."
But i feed a small amount every morning anyhow - i guess it comes down to if im using it as a conversion method for a bird cook plain? or since the other 3 love harrisons pellets already spice it up?
lol so indesisive

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
Harrisons also says you should feed their pellets exclusively or not let other foods exceed 10% of the total diet. I don't follow that rule since I know I wouldn't want to eat only dry cheerios. So I give fruits in the morning, birdie bread for lunch and vegetables/lentil/barley mix for dinner and keep the pellets always available. Jacob eats his pellets but he also likes to get fresh stuff.

I say put veg/fruit in the bread if you feel so and feed it as you are used to :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I put fruit veggies and grain in my harrison so much that it takes 10 eggs to bind I use harrisons as just the base :hug8:I also feed it twice a day as an essential part of their diet

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I put in applesauce and pellets that the girls don't like. They ate it when it was in the bread. I think I added some other stuff too but can't remember. :)

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
okay - yeah thats what i was thinking i mean most of you should know that i don't follow their recomendation for normal feeding- mine get freshies in the morning with birdie bread and pellets go into foraging toys then cooked goodies and grains with more fresh in the evening..lol
so i will have a hay day and add a whole ton of stuff to it then! like cynthia it will only be a base for me

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
In my few attempts at Birdie Bread, I always feed it has 50% of their food. Fresh fruits and veggies in the morning (precut the night before because I'm usually out the door at 6:15 AM hehe) along with birdie bread, pellets/goldenfeast mix throughout the day, and then birdie bread at night again, and I'll offer them any veggie I make for dinner for my hubby hehe

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
sounds good (i should have mentioned that i just posted 4 reciepes of birdie bread i NORMALLY make harrisons bread mix is a new base for me to try)

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You can add all sorts of things to it and it will hold together. Their feeding guidelines are a horrible joke IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.