• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's bird food?

parapig23

Moving in
Hi,

A few days ago I ordered these https://www.amazon.com/Harrisons-Ad...=1620763020&sprefix=harrisons+,aps,173&sr=8-1 for my budgie. I thought it was fine but when I got it today I realized it said for medium to large birds. I read (in the Q&A) that it's fine for budgies but it looks way too big for my budgie. Will it work just to cut them up so it is small enough for my bird? Since I already opened the bag I can't return it and I don't want to have wasted $45. Also are the ingredients bad for my budgie? Thank you!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are quite hard so bear that in mind!

The formula is better suited for a larger bird as the Fine and Super Fine have a different formula, but I would think as long as you are feeding it as part of a healthy diet (for a budgie, alongside seeds and veggies) then it should be fine.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
The ingredients are fine for budgies. Did you order the coarse pellets? You can put some pellets in a food processor to grind them smaller (it will be loud!). I've also put pellets in a ziplock bag and smash them with a hammer (or whatever you have) to get them smaller. For future reference, a good size for budgies is "Lifetime Fine for small/medium birds". I've been feeding my birds, from budgies to green cheek conures, Harrison's since the mid 1990s.

parapig23

Moving in
Thank you all for responding! I will do that! So I need to give her seeds as well as pellets?