• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's...best size bag to get

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Harrison's sent me some free samples of high potency and power treats. I want to feed this to Casey, BFA, and he seems to like them but not sure which size bag of high potency to get due to the fact that the storage time is not very long.
Thought I would start with a 1 lb. bag but wondering if anyone who uses this has an idea of how long a 1 lb. bag of high potency coarse will last. Don't want to purchase the 5 lb. bag
if it will not be good after @ 6 weeks and I still have a lot left. Will probably store in refrigerator or freezer. Am also going to order a bag of Power Treats. Wish they would have sent more than one tiny bag of high potency and one tiny bag of power treats but
at least they are willing to send free samples.

Also, where do you order from? Amazon, Harrison's, or....??

Thanks.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I’ve been getting the 1 lb bags from Harrison’s and now that BScoot is consistently liking them I just went out in the pouring rain to the vet to get a 5 lb bag because I ran out and the order hasn’t shipped yet. Don’t have a good idea of how long it lasts

001D8D28-1AAF-43F2-9655-ADC989FB1457.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I keep my pellets in the freezer - except for a few days worth and they are kept in the refrigerator. When kept in the freezer they will last for many months.

What size bag you get depends on how many birds are eating them and what size the birds are.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve been getting the 1 lb bags from Harrison’s and now that BScoot is consistently liking them I just went out in the pouring rain to the vet to get a 5 lb bag because I ran out and the order hasn’t shipped yet. Don’t have a good idea of how long it lasts
@saroj12 Does your vet honor Harrison’s direct pricing? Or do they charge a bit more? Last I purchased from my vet, it was significantly more expensive than Harrison’s direct pricing. The front desk girls said Harrison’s was behind the price increases but when I go to the website the food is the same price as what I’ve always paid. I’m okay supporting my vet but $9 a pound more expensive gave me sticker shock.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I decided to start with a 1 lb. bag of High Potency Coarse and a bag of Power Treats.
I'll keep them in the freezer and just take some out and put in refrigerator as needed as per @Hankmacaw 's routine.
Purchased from Great Companions.
Just giving this to Casey right now but might start Cody on it if she is willing to eat the stuff. She needs to lose weight.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I decided to order another 1 lb bag and this time ordered from Amazon. The package arrived smelling like perfume or fabric softener. This is not the first time I've received packages smelling like this. Not necessarily a big deal when it's not food items but in this case it's not acceptable.
I requested a replacement. If the replacement stinks I'll send that back, too.
I should have just ordered from Great Companions but I knew I would get it faster from Amazon and I was down to the last few tablespoons.
I think I'm going to order a 5 lb. bag from Great Companions and store in the freezer. The 1 lb. bag only lasted 3 weeks but the issue is that Casey isn't a big fan
and so I keep thinking that a 5 lb. bag might be a waste of $$ if he decides he doesn't want to eat it at all any more.