• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison’s Pellets -

daisysnowy

Moving in
Real Name
Sabrina
After 3 days of hand feeding my parakeets some Harrison’s pellets (they’re completely new to pellets but the transition was surprisingly fast) I decided to try putting Harrison’s in the food bowl and take out all seed.
My parakeets ate it fine but I saw Snowy afterwards throwing up (or maybe regurgitating? but she was just bopping her head and a tiny bit of food fell from her mouth). Now she’s fine and eating regular seed but I’m still concerned as to why she did that. I think I’m going to stick to a 30% seed 30% pellet 20% vegetables 10% fruit diet instead of 70% pellet 10% seed and 10% vegetables.

And another question, is Harrison’s Superfine pellets supposed to smell like fish food? What’s it supposed to smell like? I sniffed it and it’s not that it smells unpleasant but it doesn’t smell fresh and natural like I’d expected.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
sniffed it and it’s not that it smells unpleasant but it doesn’t smell fresh and natural like I’d expected.
Hi! Welcome to the avenue!
:starshower: :starshower: :starshower:

Did you check the expiration date on the bag? Was it maybe open for a longer time?
According to Harrisons they should smell "farm fresh" or like "fresh grain".
The ones I have smell and taste like that to me.
I would discontinue feeding it for safety reasons. If it is a fresh batch I'd also contact Harrisons.:(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If a budgie overheats they will regurgitate some to make their crop comfortable. I see it regularly with one of my budgies when I serve up their pellets, she takes a drink after the pellets which makes them swell in her crop.
Don't panic, but still follow @Ulis_Beast's great advice. We can' t be too careful with foods.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Harrison's has a clear use by date. On the bottom.

You can refrigerate after opening, but keep in the original packaging.

They smell nutty to me. They shouldn't have any fish like odor. Check the bag for any pin holes, and I agree replace them if in doubt. Return or call the store or dealer you purchased from.