• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison’s Adult Lifetime?

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Hey .
So, I was trying to find a good, natural pellet for my budgie. I heard about Harrison’s, and thought it looked good, so I ordered some. Well when it got here, I read the ingredients (something I should have done before ordering ) and it has peanuts. I read that that’s not good for them? Any advice for what brand I should use if not Harrison’s? I was also thinking about Tops if anyone knows anything about that. Thanks in advance!

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my opinion, Harrison’s is a high quality pellet, whereas while tops is also good it’s not able to the primary pellet becauese it lacks some vital vitamins, @Mizzely cabn explain in better detail

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Harrison's is organic and they test all of their ingredients before putting them in their recipe for any alfatoxins (the things that you should avoid peanuts for). In the small amount used they are a healthy (and tasty!) addition to a heavily researched backed, veterinarian designed diet.

TOPS annoys me :lol: They claim they are "filler free", but when was the last time you saw a bird eating alfalfa? ;) They also say that alfalfa and seaweed are sources of Vitamin D3 (one of the most important nutrients birds kept inside our homes need!) but alfalfa has SUCH a small amount that birds would need to eat POUNDS a day to get their fill, and the seaweed they use I cannot find an research that shows the UI amounts of D3 they contain.

If I could feed any pellet on the market, it would be Harrison's. TOPS would be my last resort.

Luckily there is a wide range of pellets with a variety of ingredients available!

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Ok, thank you all. I just wasn’t sure. I see one source saying that Harrison’s is bad, and I have a panic attack.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
I’ve heard that some people mix in different pellet brands for variety, does anyone do that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ok, thank you all. I just wasn’t sure. I see one source saying that Harrison’s is bad, and I have a panic attack.
Everyone has an opinion. ;) And with birds we are still very much learning! I'm sure the landscape will change a lot in the next decade.
I’ve heard that some people mix in different pellet brands for variety, does anyone do that?
I like to offer a couple pellets just in case one becomes hard to find, has a recall, or my bird doesn't like it anymore.

Unfortunately my bird only likes one pellet (Zupreem) even if he has no other choice but to eat one of the two or three others I have mixed in ;)

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
I like to offer a couple pellets just in case one becomes hard to find, has a recall, or my bird doesn't like it anymore.

Unfortunately my bird only likes one pellet (Zupreem) even if he has no other choice but to eat one of the two or three others I have mixed in ;)
Ok, thanks. Any brands you’d recommend to mix in for a budgie?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ok, thanks. Any brands you’d recommend to mix in for a budgie?
My favorites are any without sugars and dyes. Harrison's, Hagen Tropican, Roudybush, and Lafeber Tropical Fruit.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies eat Tops and bit of Harrison’s. Both are organic. As others have said, Tops is not vitamin fortified like Harrison’s. Tops is cold pressed, while Harrison’s is baked. My budgies will eat both just fine.

What I don’t like about Tops is that it isn’t vitamin fortified. What I don’t like about Harrison’s is the baked texture (like dog kibble) and that the primary ingredient is corn—which is high in fat and is also a filler in my opinion. Bear in mind, these are just my opinions.

If your bird(s) will eat Harrison’s, that’s great!! I don’t think either are a ‘bad’ pellet to feed your bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Corn is not high in fat, luckily! It's primarily carbs, which is good for birds ;)

Screenshot_20210611-152354.png

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Harrison's is a very good food, probably one of the best there is. Corn is a digestible carbohydrate and not a bad thing. Best of all Harrison's is certified non GMO and organic.

Remember to feed whatever fresh greens you can provide for your budgies. They do seem to enjoy finely chopped greens, carrots, cabbage, broccoli florets from my experience.

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
My favorites are any without sugars and dyes. Harrison's, Hagen Tropican, Roudybush, and Lafeber Tropical Fruit.
I just looked up Lafeber Tropical Fruit, and they look good, but I’m worried if I feed her these she won’t eat the Harrison’s?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just looked up Lafeber Tropical Fruit, and they look good, but I’m worried if I feed her these she won’t eat the Harrison’s?
If you really want to feed the Harrison's, start her on that first. You can always introduce others later. There is no guarantee she'll eat the Harrison's regardless. I'm almost 3 years in on trying to get my Jardine's to eat it.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
My budgies like Harrisson's. I've fed them both High Potency and Adult Lifetime. They eat both without any noticeable preference. I have heard that some birds like HP more, because it has more energy and possibly better flavor. I've also tried two sizes - Fine and Super Fine. My budgies and finches show a strong preference for super fine - it is about the size of a millet seed. The fine size is more like bb gun ammo.

I have had good success getting birds switched from all-seed diet to pellets, by mixing these little pellets with seeds and then slowly reducing the seed content. Might just be lucky, tho.

I feed a variety of pellets in my budgie aviary, in separate dishes so I can monitor intake. I've tried a lot of different pellets. My current menu is Roudybush crumbles, Mazuri small bird diet, Harrison's AL super fine, and Tropican 2mm pellets.

My budgies didn't seem to like Tops, so I stopped offering it when the bag ran out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I do! I feed at least four different pellets, sometimes more.
I had issues not long after I got Burt finding Roudybush which is what I had transitioned him to, I then had no choice but to go back to using the pellet he was weaned on to (I didn’t know much about that brand at the time so I switched to the Roudybush pellet). I’ve noticed many brands other than the one made here in Australia end up being unavailable for months at a time or you have to buy it in seriously huge bags that would end up spoiled well before being finished by one bird so I feel it’s a safer option having my bird accept more than one brand.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I usually feed three different pellets Harrison's, Tropican (22% protein) and Zupreem Nut Blend. My girl GW seems to like something different every day,

BananaBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks so much everyone! This community has helped so much!
I just got her a new cage, so I think I'll get her moved in and then try switching her over to Harrison's, and maybe some Roudybush and Hagen Tropican.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have my sun conure used to . . .
-tops
-lafebers
-harrisons peppertime coarse, and lifetime fine
-zupreem fruitblend and nutblend