• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harper's sweater

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Attachments

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Awwwwwwww, she looks so cute. Hopefully that will help your baby.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
So the only issue with the sock is that I think it still might be too big (got the smallest size; 0-4 months). She starts chewing on it and pulling it up until her wings come out of the slits and the sock is covering her wings. So far, she hasn't gotten it off, but I don't want her wings to be stuck under the sock. I have several other socks to spare, so I can try to make a slightly modified version if you think that would help. Maybe with a smaller head hole and wing slots?
I just had to take a pic of her asleep which, of course, woke her up. Get ready to saw "Awwwww."

Attachments

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Just be careful Sweetheart that she doesn't get her talon caught in the open loops.

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Just be careful Sweetheart that she doesn't get her talon caught in the open loops.

Ginger
I thought about that too. I'm assuming that since a lot of other people use socks, they are fairly safe, but I am still concerned. :hug8:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
You'll be able to play around with it and get it just right for her. :)

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
How cute! Her sleeping picture is just adorable!:heart: Have you tried the newborn size socks? They are little little. Hope it helps her.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aww, that's so cute! so snuggly too.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh my gosh, how cute is that! She needs some with designs on them now! :D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thats adorable!

would you mind letting me know how it goes? i have been thinking about doing something like that for Toc, but am not sure.. I'm scared it would get caught on something in his cage while we're at school.. or his feet would get stuck in it..

Was it hard to get on her? It looks like she's tame so that would probably make it easier.. Toc doesn't let us touch him.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Look for preemie socks or doll socks.

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
haha thats cute! :) I hope it works out for you and her!

Have you ever been to Avalon parrots in mahtomedi? She has a couple of U2's and one plucks. He is a doll (his name slips me) and she finally figured out the fix for the dear! As long as he's got his sock on he doesnt touch his feathers except to preen nicely.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
How cute! Her sleeping picture is just adorable!:heart: Have you tried the newborn size socks? They are little little. Hope it helps her.
This was the smallest size I could get at Target.

Thats adorable!

would you mind letting me know how it goes? i have been thinking about doing something like that for Toc, but am not sure.. I'm scared it would get caught on something in his cage while we're at school.. or his feet would get stuck in it..

Was it hard to get on her? It looks like she's tame so that would probably make it easier.. Toc doesn't let us touch him.
She is actually not very tame. She is usually terrified of me. I usually have to chase her to catch her, but once she's in my hands and cupped, she feels safe. :lol: She put up a fight when I was putting it on and I got bit a few times.

Look for preemie socks or doll socks.
Good suggestions!
haha thats cute! :) I hope it works out for you and her!

Have you ever been to Avalon parrots in mahtomedi? She has a couple of U2's and one plucks. He is a doll (his name slips me) and she finally figured out the fix for the dear! As long as he's got his sock on he doesnt touch his feathers except to preen nicely.
I have been meaning to check them out. They are a good 30-45 minutes from me, but I really like that she does rescue work.

Ok, now for how the sock worked. The first version was much too big. She was able to squeeze out of it. I made a 2nd version which I made kind of like a vest and tied it on her. When I got home, she was out of it; it was soaking wet! (Not sure if she bathed in it, or fell into the water); and shredded to pieces! She definitely does not like wearing the sweater! And I do have some concerns about the safety of the sock. I think I'm going to nix the sock and try to make something out of fleece. It would weigh less so it wouldn't weigh her down, it is more stretch and versataile, and she would be less likely to get her nails caught in it. Anyways, here is how the vest looked when I came home!

Attachments

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm thinking fleece would be a good idea. Would you have to sew the back though? I'd worry about the wee thing getting a claw stuck.

Hmmm... I just had an idea. What about using velcro in the back to secure her sweater?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I'm thinking fleece would be a good idea. Would you have to sew the back though? I'd worry about the wee thing getting a claw stuck.

Hmmm... I just had an idea. What about using velcro in the back to secure her sweater?
Velcro is an awesome idea! It would be easier to get it on her too. :dancing:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Allison,

Have you thought of looking for tiny doll clothes?

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.