• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness!

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Just ordered Kiwi an Avian Flight Harness :D I've wanted to for months and I'm so happy I decided to! I figured I'll spend the winter months training and getting used to it, so when spring and summer come around we can go out and about together! I'm so excited

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very exciting! Wishing you luck with the training :fingerscrossed: . Remember to be patient, it really can take quite some time with some birds.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Very exciting! Wishing you luck with the training :fingerscrossed: . Remember to be patient, it really can take quite some time with some birds.
Yes! That's the part I am most nervous about, Kiwi isn't one to like long training sessions. I think in the early days I messed up with having the treat visible, and now she only performs while the treat is in her sight :lol: she also gets SUPER excited and hard to keep focus, but I'm gonna start getting her used to gentle wing touches/lifts for when I have to put it on her.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Never have harness trained my birds, but just wanted to say good luck! Have fun!

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Good luck! We can share tricks and tips, I am working on harness training with my GCC right now also. It's been slow going, but I think the outcome with be worth it!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@FiatLux has had a harness for her GCC for a bit i dont know if she has made any progress.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Cool! I've recently ordered one for Spearmint, its not arrived yet though. What are your current thoughts on the harness (if u have it yet). I ordered Petite for mine. Have fun training!

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Cool! I've recently ordered one for Spearmint, its not arrived yet though. What are your current thoughts on the harness (if u have it yet). I ordered Petite for mine. Have fun training!
I haven't gone mine yet, it's shipping from the US but I've also ordered a petite for Kiwi!

Marisa K.

Meeting neighbors
Just ordered Kiwi an Avian Flight Harness :D I've wanted to for months and I'm so happy I decided to! I figured I'll spend the winter months training and getting used to it, so when spring and summer come around we can go out and about together! I'm so excited
Exact same plan lol

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
let me know how it goes and where did you bought it from , good luck

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Since anyone and everyone is likely to have more patience than me, you will succeed I’m sure. I also have an aviator harness and Pitchounette did well getting used to it. I got as far as getting on him. I did this by hanging it from his tree, then slowly getting it closer, then touching him with it, then over the neck only for a minute, then finally wings…over a month or two? Then I panicked getting it off of him the first time and decided I lacked the patience and skills to train him to use it safely. So basically the issue was me lol! Kiwi will do great I’m sure.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Since anyone and everyone is likely to have more patience than me, you will succeed I’m sure. I also have an aviator harness and Pitchounette did well getting used to it. I got as far as getting on him. I did this by hanging it from his tree, then slowly getting it closer, then touching him with it, then over the neck only for a minute, then finally wings…over a month or two? Then I panicked getting it off of him the first time and decided I lacked the patience and skills to train him to use it safely. So basically the issue was me lol! Kiwi will do great I’m sure.
Today was mostly introducing the physical harness! She's pretty skittish of new things but she managed to touch it a few times today (with lots of praise), I'm showing her bits of it and then working towards the full harness. She likes to stick her head through my fingers if I make a ring of them, so I'm not too worried about that. I think my obstacle is going to be getting it around her wings, but I'm working on her letting me touch them.