• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I have decided to get a harness for Yoshi as he LOVES being outside burn doesn’t like being restricted to a cage or travel carrier. He woxn’t let me grab and extend his wings so the aviator harness’s are not a option.

I think I’m going to get the EZ bird harness but I wanted to get some opinions first. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw uses the avain web I think and I vaguely remember her giving some really good first hand accounts of the differences between some of the harnesses. I am not familiar with the EZ bird harness but i have been considering the avain web as Burt hates using his aviator harness when he has pinnies which seems to be all the time lately!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I find the EZ web harness to be very secure and much more comfortable. I fly Jasper outside on the harness an a line an there has never been any indication of it coming off. And despite her efforts she has not been able to chew through it.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I find the EZ web harness to be very secure and much more comfortable. I fly Jasper outside on the harness an a line an there has never been any indication of it coming off. And despite her efforts she has not been able to chew through it.
Thanks! I think I’ll go ahead without purchasing it. :D

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
@Hankmacaw uses the avain web I think and I vaguely remember her giving some really good first hand accounts of the differences between some of the harnesses. I am not familiar with the EZ bird harness but i have been considering the avain web as Burt hates using his aviator harness when he has pinnies which seems to be all the time lately!
I’m pretty sure avian web and ez bird are the same company just different names.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I bought Pi an aviator, but I am not sure it is the best option for him. He doesn't like head touch. He loves the harness as an object, and doesn't mind interacting with it. I have been working on the head loop. He will stick up to his eyes in the hole... but then he gets overwhelmed. We have been working on training for about 3 weeks.

How does the EZ attach?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m pretty sure avian web and ez bird are the same company just different names.
They are the same thing. The names are both used on the same instruction document I got when I got mine.
I got it this Summer, and we've been practicing since. You con't force it on your bird and you have to be able to handle your bird to put the harness on. Even if he won't let you open his wings, he will have to put his head in the loop and let you buckle the belt around his belly.
I bought mine from the beautyofbirds.com/birdharness site, it came with 3 pages of instructions and the harness itself came in 3 sizes, because I have a small bird and if the size I ordered didn't fit it would have been too expensive to send it back and get a new one so she just sent 3 different sizes, all with my bird's name on them. Really good service!!!

20191206_202253.jpg

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Ah ok, so still an over the head element. Thank you very much for this photo @Gribouille !

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
The Avian Web is pretty cool, I haven't been able to get Galahad into it as he's been molting, particularly around the neck, but their customer service is great. I wasn't sure what to order because they had some weird size chart that didn't work for Galahad, he's not a green cheek, he's a black cap and weighs 70g. So I emailed them and they suggested this one they have marked as for cockatiels because it's actually three harnesses! For the price of one, they just want you to get the right fit. So now I have Galahad's, and one that will probably fit Aoife, my lovebird.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I bought Pi an aviator, but I am not sure it is the best option for him. He doesn't like head touch. He loves the harness as an object, and doesn't mind interacting with it. I have been working on the head loop. He will stick up to his eyes in the hole... but then he gets overwhelmed. We have been working on training for about 3 weeks.

How does the EZ attach?
I tried the Aviator first, but Galahad couldn't deal with the strap across his keel, he'd stick his toes in it and refuse to move.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Ah ok, so still an over the head element. Thank you very much for this photo @Gribouille !
Geez, the time limit to edit a message is only 10 minutes now?! :wideyed: Didn't get to publish the edited message, so I make a new answer.. sorry..

yeah, I don't think you can find a harness that doesn't have something to slip over the head... I've been working with Pichu for about 4 months (not regularly though, got fed up at some point...) and like Pi he would only put his head up to the eyes and back up. No way to make him go further in...

I was discouraged then Eloy showed me a video of how he worked with the belt instead of the head loop. So I tried that: using the belt to make a large loop that I could release in case Pichu got stuck. Worked much better that way! He also learned to walk through the whole loop, or to just have a narrow hole and still be OK with it.
When he got used to that and agreed to go further and further into the loop, I tried the head loop again. By folding it a little, the center of the loop gets wider. Pichu will now put his whole head through but he will still have trouble removing his head because his feathers are "opening" and block him, but he doesn't panic anymore.

Sometimes I don't feel like training him for several days, but he wants treats (he gets them only when training and to go to bed) so he actually asks! Goes to the training pouch lying on the kitchen bench and gets all puffed with excitement to show me what he wants :D !!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
they suggested this one they have marked as for cockatiels because it's actually three harnesses! For the price of one, they just want you to get the right fit. So now I have Galahad's, and one that will probably fit Aoife, my lovebird.
Same as Pichu then, I train him with the largest one and we'll see what fits best when he is ready to accept it.