• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness training

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I have a five month old Maxi and we are starting harness training , so far she is able to put her head in the head loop by herself, and I can touch her wings. After a few seconds she starts chewing the harness. When she stops I try to wait a couple of seconds click and reward. I thought I’d teach her that stopping chewing would give the reward but instead I have the feeling iam reinforcing the chewing. Any idea how I can move forward?

Thanks.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
For my guys, once I got the harness on I just went outside. There is enough simulation outside that it usually distracts them. When they reach down to chew I just told them no and removed the harness from their beak. That happens repeatedly until they are used to it. They do get over it with time.

cm16600

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the inputs but the chewing occurs when she has the head looparound her head and it is avoiding me to put the wing loops.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm not a good resource. My jasper was such an amenable and gentle bird that I just put the harness on her. She complained a little. but just complained. She would not stop chewing on it, once on, but got better about that. Keep taking the straps out of her mouth and saying "no". That's all I can think of. At least she isn't strong enough to chew through the straps like a macaw is.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I am at the same point with my Cockatiel, I can get his head through the loop but can't get it over his wings, and he chews on it too while I'm trying to put it on. So I don't really have a lot of advice on what to do, I just keep trying with mine and trying to get him used to having me touch his wings while putting the harness on. Best of luck though!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I made a replica harness for training and switched to the real thing after success. My purpose was just that I didn't want to buy another harness that would never be used, but incidentally it did spare the real thing any extra chewing damage, so I guess it's an option. Rowan, my maxi, still chews on his indoors, but like Sarah said the moment we're outside there's enough to see that he stops.