• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness training

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've been training Pichu for a while now and we don't really progress.

I give him a seed that he can get by putting his head through the hole of his harness, but he goes as far as his eyes level, takes the seed and removes his head.

If I try to place the seed so he'd have to put his head further inside the hole, he refuses and tries to get it by going around the harness (of course he is never allowed to get it that way), or he flies away, like saying OK, if you make this difficult I won't train with you anymore.

We've tried 2 types of harnesses, the mini wings and the avian web. The mini wings was too narrow so we are now training with the avian web. I've got 3 sizes and we use the largest.

Any suggestion to get him to accept having the harness around his neck?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He gets sunflower seeds. I tried millet and nutriberries but he was not interested enough.
He gets them for target training too, we do both or only one of them, depending on how interested he is.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara
You're the only one I know that has harnessed trained + you have good links & video.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He gets sunflower seeds. I tried millet and nutriberries but he was not interested enough.
He gets them for target training too, we do both or only one of them, depending on how interested he is.

I'd start only offering it during harness training. So that the only time he gets it is in that training. It could make him more excited about that training. Have you tried pine nuts? Or almond slices? For one bird, I used apple for a training treat.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd start only offering it during harness training. So that the only time he gets it is in that training. It could make him more excited about that training. Have you tried pine nuts? Or almond slices? For one bird, I used apple for a training treat.
he doesn't like other treats as much. Cuddles are a good treat too but not during training. I plan on giving plenty when he finally has the harness on though!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
he doesn't like other treats as much. Cuddles are a good treat too but not during training. I plan on giving plenty when he finally has the harness on though!
That’s one for Tibs too, lol, after we got the harness on he learned to associate it with good things. He only got cuddles when it was on, even with it just out I would make a fuss over him.
0BF44621-955A-4C6E-8094-EDE11B0A3F36.jpeg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That’s one for Tibs too, lol, after we got the harness on he learned to associate it with good things. He only got cuddles when it was on, even with it just out I would make a fuss over him.
View attachment 315906
Such a good boy! How long did it take for him to accept it? I'm not sure I want to restrict cuddles to harness training though... Those cuddles aren't only for HIS sake!! ;)

I found out that Pichu isn't the big explorer type, he likes to stay safe in his kitchen. The living room is OK now, and he accepts to wander around the flat with me. On Saturday we went to the basement with him on my shoulder, it went very well, so we also went to the attic, he flew over the beams there but I got him down and he stayed with me then. But yesterday I took him to the basement again, and half-way down the stairs he just flew back up, passed our flat and flew up to the attic. Found the door closed so he called for me, found him on the highest step of the stairs. I took him back to the flat and he happily flew back to his beloved and safe kitchen. Not really sure he'll enjoy going outside with the harness now!!

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Such a good boy! How long did it take for him to accept it? I'm not sure I want to restrict cuddles to harness training though... Those cuddles aren't only for HIS sake!! ;)

I found out that Pichu isn't the big explorer type, he likes to stay safe in his kitchen. The living room is OK now, and he accepts to wander around the flat with me. On Saturday we went to the basement with him on my shoulder, it went very well, so we also went to the attic, he flew over the beams there but I got him down and he stayed with me then. But yesterday I took him to the basement again, and half-way down the stairs he just flew back up, passed our flat and flew up to the attic. Found the door closed so he called for me, found him on the highest step of the stairs. I took him back to the flat and he happily flew back to his beloved and safe kitchen. Not really sure he'll enjoy going outside with the harness now!!

Thank you! Maybe a month? Tibs is adventurous, anything new must be for him (to be fair, it usually is) he's also a foodie. When you do cuddle, bring the harness out. It can be a great "good things happen when this thing is out".
Aww, Pichu sounds like a cutie, maybe he'll develop a sense of adventure? I mean, he did fly up to the attic which is pretty cool in itself. :D Hopefully he enjoys it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Agree. All to get him as motivated as possible. :)

I do the harness training together with my trick training. I also let them play with the harness two weeks before I start.

I have 3 videos on YouTube if you will see how I do it.
I give them a lot of time before I put it on. And once it on I go out. I want them to associate the harness with outside adventures.
If you stay in they will only try to get it off.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! Maybe a month? Tibs is adventurous, anything new must be for him (to be fair, it usually is) he's also a foodie. When you do cuddle, bring the harness out. It can be a great "good things happen when this thing is out".
Aww, Pichu sounds like a cutie, maybe he'll develop a sense of adventure? I mean, he did fly up to the attic which is pretty cool in itself. :D Hopefully he enjoys it.
A month for a curious guy sounds good, then we are probably on schedule when we aren't there yet after a couple of months on a careful guy. I'll take the harness for cuddles then, even if we don't try it on!
I think he flew to the attic in an attempt to get home, but it was indeed cool :D since all windows were locked in the stair case :wacky:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Agree. All to get him as motivated as possible. :)

I do the harness training together with my trick training. I also let them play with the harness two weeks before I start.

I have 3 videos on YouTube if you will see how I do it.
I give them a lot of time before I put it on. And once it on I go out. I want them to associate the harness with outside adventures.
If you stay in they will only try to get it off.
Thanks Eloy, that gives me more ideas of things to try other than having Pichu's head through the loop :). Eloy is really calm, as is every bird I see on harness training videos. Maybe that's why you can't find videos of harness training with small birds :sour:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Eloy, I wanted to thank you once more for those videos! I've tried it your way for 2-3 sessions now, it is working wonders :dance4:. Pichu seems to like training with the belt much better than putting his head in the harness. :highfive:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Eloy, I wanted to thank you once more for those videos! I've tried it your way for 2-3 sessions now, it is working wonders :dance4:. Pichu seems to like training with the belt much better than putting his head in the harness.

That is SO neat that it is working better in the 2 to 3 sessions for Pichu!
@Eloy these are GREAT vids. Oh, and I must say, the last time that I tried to video Fergus and Fiona, I had youtube music playing in the background, and it would not allow me to post my video! I was SO infuriated, because Fiona had done her 'warning' noise to Fergus so perfectly during the video, and I cannot edit out the music :( DRAT it, budgies don't 'perform' well to silence! Wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I had youtube music playing in the background, and it would not allow me to post my video! I was SO infuriated, because Fiona had done her 'warning' noise to Fergus so perfectly during the video, and I cannot edit out the music :( DRAT it, budgies don't 'perform' well to silence! Wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
I've heard several person saying YouTube planted music on their videos, I never had that problem.. wonder if it could be the way you register your video on YouTube?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I've heard several person saying YouTube planted music on their videos, I never had that problem.. wonder if it could be the way you register your video on YouTube?

You mean like I take a video but there is no sound, and when it uploads then youtube selects and plants music on it?
I told this story wrongly, and I realize that now. What I had playing in the background was my radio! Then when I tried uploading the vid to Youtube and posting it on FB, a notification popped up and said something about Sony claiming the music, and I had no right to post it.
BUT... the time before that, I had music playing from youtube, and they muted the music in some countries, it said!
I guess the thing is, if songs are copyrighted, you cannot include them in a video... even if they are playing on YOUR radio, or YOUR record player. (Though I haven't tried the record player yet). Now that I think of it, I have not turned on the radio since... (didn't realize I was mad at the radio!)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You mean like I take a video but there is no sound, and when it uploads then youtube selects and plants music on it?

No I think I understood you right, you had sound on your video and YouTube put its own. But then I see now that it is not as I thought, if you say YouTube did that on purpose because you had copyrighted music playing in the background. How could YouTube know where the music comes from?? Radio, record player, Youtube or Spotify...?
I've posted videos of Merlin singing to Andrea Bocelli, Elvis, and Tina Turner, never had music planted on my videos..

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
No I think I understood you right, you had sound on your video and YouTube put its own. But then I see now that it is not as I thought, if you say YouTube did that on purpose because you had copyrighted music playing in the background. How could YouTube know where the music comes from?? Radio, record player, Youtube or Spotify...?
I've posted videos of Merlin singing to Andrea Bocelli, Elvis, and Tina Turner, never had music planted on my videos..

I don't know how they know, or if they care where the music comes from but somehow maybe the songs are flagged I guess and when they are done uploading, I suppose it is like if someone posted something against the rules. Not sure at all how it works, or why I have gotten by with this many times in the past (songs in background), but I believe it is something new. I even remember the song that was playing on the radio when I uploaded the vid to Youtube! It was a Journey song called Wheel in the Sky Keeps on Turning. I don't particularly even like that song, which is why I remember what was playing! LOL, ironic, eh? I also think certain countries seem to be exempt from this, as when I got a notification before for something like this it said it might be muted in certain countries! Weird stuff.