• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness Training + Treats

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi all,
I recently got my GCC an aviator harness (petite size), i was wondering if anybody found any useful training methods for harness training? He can stick his head through the wing loop but is still very hesitant about the head loop as it looks very small. I've tried day by day to slowly lure his head into the head loop, but instead of wanting the treat he rather bites my hand.
The treats i give him are not high value for him at all, ive tried sunflower seeds, millet, apple, seed mix rolled up with some banana, other fruits, pieces of cashew and almond nut.

Suggestions for treats and harness training would be nice, thank you :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
This video helped me when I was working with the head loop. My cockatoo is not very food motivated, I just make sure to work when he is hungry. In between meals works best, with short sessions.
Maybe try safflower seeds. Or little bits of crackers or dry cereal. Peanut butter or almond butter on a popsicle stick. Maybe try some more nuts, walnuts and pistachios.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It deosn't necessarily have to be a seed or a nut. It could be anything that you bird likes to eat. But my conure's favorites is pumpkin seeds and her favorite vegetable is corn and bell pepper, and any kind of fruit in front of her.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
This video helped me when I was working with the head loop. My cockatoo is not very food motivated, I just make sure to work when he is hungry. In between meals works best, with short sessions.
Maybe try safflower seeds. Or little bits of crackers or dry cereal. Peanut butter or almond butter on a popsicle stick. Maybe try some more nuts, walnuts and pistachios.

Thank you! I'll definitely give it a try :)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
It deosn't necessarily have to be a seed or a nut. It could be anything that you bird likes to eat. But my conure's favorites is pumpkin seeds and her favorite vegetable is corn and bell pepper, and any kind of fruit in front of her.
Thank you! I've got some pumpkin seeds that i give my hermit crabs, i'll offer some to him. :D

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]

Sorry for the late reply, but do you know where i can find Safflower seeds?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Sorry for the late reply, but do you know where i can find Safflower seeds?
Seeing your in Aus, here's some online places. I haven't bought things from these places (except petshopdirect, got my flight cage from there)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d honestly first identify what your birds absolute favourite treat is before trying to motivate him with food rewards- you mention quite a lot of food treats but also say he’s not finding any of the treats you supply to be high value… if they’re not high value then they’re not treats and won’t have him motivated to earn them.
Has your bird tried pine nuts? They’re a big winner with many birds.

Also, treats are usually not a food that is ever free fed in a bowl