• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness Training and Questions

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
So i’ve been thinking about harness training my tiel Buttons, who i’ve had for a year and a half. What are some good harnesses you have experience with? And how should i go about harness training him? Also, he is a little chicken, and gets scared of every little thing, so how can i condition him so that when i take him outside he won’t be frightened by a twig snapping?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I tried the Aviator with Cappuccino, but I felt like taking it off was so difficult that every session ended on a bad note. I also used the Fred Bird and Avian Fashions. Regardless of the one you use, practice on a small stuffed bird first. It really helps! You have to start out slow by just having the harness in her view. Gradually move it closer, and then have her touch it. Give her a treat every time she makes progress. Go in tiny increments, like first she touches it, the next week she leans it’s okay if you drape it on her, then she learns you can touch her wing, then you can lift her wing up, etc. Keep training sessions short, about five minutes, and treat after every time she does the desired behavior. Look up Barbara Heidenreich training videos for tips on training, and good luck!

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
The aviator harness is the best one imo. Most cockatiels won’t like harnesses, and some will refuse them completely even with training (my bird hates them after two years of trying to harness train).

as for taking your bird outside, if it is afraid of everything, maybe u can take it out in a cage for a short while every day until it is used to the process. (10 minutes the first 3 days, 15 the next 4 days, 30 min the next week, 1 hour the next week ).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And how should i go about harness training him?
Here is a helpful video;

And here is the video from the Aviator pack (a part is specific to their brand of harness, but there are some conditioning tips included too);