• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness small enough for a plet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Does anyone here have a harness that's small enough for a GR plet to wear? I'd really like to be able to take him outside with us and have him experience nature outside a cage, but I'm not sure if there's a good harness available for a 20g bird =/ Any brand/vendor suggestions would be great!

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
I have heard some people using whats called a flight suit. Its seems small enough for a plet.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I would not use a harness on a parrotlet. Having one I know they are little wiggly worms:) Also 20 grams seems really small even for a plet. Bodie weighs from 28-30 grams.

I take Bodie outside in his little outside cage. They are so small and we have hawks around. That being said I still right by his side the whole time we are out not only because of the hawks but I have seen cats in our backyard
:eek:

ThatDarnBird

I don't think I'd use a flight suit on such a small bird, if it was even a tiny bit to big you could lose them. We use Pak-o-Birds to go outside. They can see out from them great and are very protected.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Milo is a Green Rump plet, I know he's on the smaller end of their size, but our vet says he's in good condition so he may just be a petite little guy. I know the Pacific plets I've met seem gigantic in comparison!

I'm guessing that he may just be too small to safely take outside without a carrier, which is really unfortunate because I think he'd absolutely love to be able to fly around like the bigger birdies do! Thanks so much everyone =)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
You can use an aviator, but the part that goes in front of the legs would actually go behind. There are pictures of p'lets being outside in the Aviator, on the Parrot University site.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
You can always purchase a harness or flight suit, make sure it fits him snug enough to be safe by having him wear it around indoors for a while then take him out :cool:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I would never use a harness on my little Maya...omg even the thought of it scares me....she is so darn tiny and if she flew off after wiggling out of that suit? oh no...I am getting nervous just thinking of it. She only goes outside in a secure carrier.....

Last edited:

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
I would not recommend it not only because of the reason from Leslie but what if your Parrotlet got spooked and flew off of you and all the predators such as other birds or dogs, cats etc that would be much faster than you would ever be able to get to your baby. I would not risk it and yes makes me very nervous thinking about my lil Blueberry and that happening :( If you are concerned with giving your baby natural sunlight you can do that by putting him or her in a smaller cage outside as long as it isn't too hot but always make sure they have access to water.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Oh Milo gets plenty of natural light! The little booger loves to sit in front of our picture window and yell at the crows in our yard :rolleyes:

I was just wondering about a harness or a flight suit because I want him to be able to experience the great outdoors like the big guys do, not just looking through a carrier. The consensus seems to be that it's too dangerous for the teeny guys, I'm glad that I asked!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
That's why we are here...to help out:) I also agree about the parrotlet's being so tiny and quick and if they were flying another bird might see them and swoop down.

Status
Not open for further replies.