• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness recommendations?

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Running under the impression our adoption of Seymour (a Ruby macaw) is going to proceed. Night cage is on order, day hanging perch is under construction... we are getting ready.

One of my top priorities is to get him harnessed trained. I've read about the right way to do that (go SLOW!) and am fine with that, but looking for recommendations on the actual harness.

Anyone have a brand they prefer (would love to know why!), or that they recommend avoiding (again, details would be great)?

ps. Received an e-mail today from Gabriel Foundation in Colorado that they didn't think they would have a bird that would be of interest to me. Found that, well, unexpected, but I use to be a paid paranoid.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Several members have had success with the Aviator harness.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Kevin, years ago I used the old 'feather tether' harness. The thing I disliked most was the difficulty in putting it on and off. The little snaps around the body/under the wings was a pain for me and Chaos.

Look for one that is quick on/off.
One that is not binding, or rubs any areas.

If you do ever get your bird to accept one....don't stop using it.
I used mine for about 10 years, but one long winter I stopped putting it on and off, and he refused it adamantly that next spring. I lost that battle. :(

I miss the freedom that harness gave us to go places.

I think they've upgraded them....this is the one I had.

download.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I used the Aviator for several years, but Jasper had arthritis in her left wing and hurt to get her wing through the loop. So I looked around and tried the EZweb harness. It is much much easier to get it on your bird and after flying Jasper for two+ years in it, I have never seen it show any indications of coming off. She could still chew through some of the straps, but not clearly as quickly as with the Aviator.

Kitty with the EZWeb.

IMG_6741.JPG

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
After failed attempts with the Aviator, I'll be trying the EZweb.

Adding leathers4feathers for completeness, but I have no experience with them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@flyzipper My birds were all GW macaws, but just to give you a heads up any one of them could chew through leather in a snap. The leash does not have an elastic section that is critical to letting your bird down easily and not just jerking them out of the sky. In fact I put longer elastic sections on the EZWeb. Plus the leathers4feathers is pretty darned expensive.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Thanks all. The Feather Tether looks like what I used on my GW almost 20 years ago. Casseybird would often destroy them before I got them on her.

This is a great discussion, really appreciate it.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd be very hesitant using leather. My birds snip leather straps in half for fun.
I can't even buy toys strung on leather for that reason.
A flight harness? Scary IMO.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Running under the impression our adoption of Seymour (a Ruby macaw) is going to proceed.
ps. Received an e-mail today from Gabriel Foundation in Colorado that they didn't think they would have a bird that would be of interest to me. Found that, well, unexpected, but I use to be a paid paranoid.
Have you gotten the home check done? I know that was on your list. I always had a giggle when people worried about the couple dirty dishes in the sink prior to a home visit when I was the one doing home checks.
Will he be bringing Seymour with on the check? Or will you be making an additional trip back there once you clear?

As far as Gabriel, yes. When people inquire about birds and mention what they are searching for, if they don’t have that exact perfect match they’ll just tell you there’s no bird that will interest you. Their board has long ago decided that birds may be better off being housed at the foundation vs going to a non-perfect home placement.

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
Home check is still pending. We just booked another visit for next Sunday. I believe the process is home check first, then time to get everything ready, then a pickup trip. They are only about 3 hours away, so its an easy (but most of the day) trip.

I am about to order a night cage - Expanded Habitat had one that a client never followed up on that will be almost perfect. Probably another 10-14 days before I actually have it.

My daughters friend is still experimenting with hanging perches for me.

Amusingly, Iowa Parrot Rescue just received a Military - so I'll finally get to meet one in person, but strongly feel Seymour will make the best companion.