• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness? Leg ring? Help!

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
I would like to be able to eventually take Hoku (my new African Grey) outside. I found a harness (photo attached) that seems decent - what do you think? Are there any leg ring type things I can safely use instead?

Attachments

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'm not familiar with the harness pictured, so I can't comment on how well it would work. I use the Aviator Harness for my birds, and it works well. It can be a bear to get on them - getting their head through the loop and then their wings, then tightening it can be fun with a wriggly, protesting bird. However, I found it to be better than the Flight Suit that I had also purchased.

The leg jesses, like you see for falconry, are not recommended (if not outright dangerous) for parrots.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Defiantly no leg ring! If he took off in a fright he could break his leg:) I personally recommend the aviator harness, I really like the elastic part it has. When the bird flies to far away, he/she is gently stopped instead of suddenly if a normal ‘leash’ was used. It is also all one part so the chance of them getting out is really small.

Mariah Hughes

Strolling the yard
Defiantly no leg ring! If he took off in a fright he could break his leg:) I personally recommend the aviator harness, I really like the elastic part it has. When the bird flies to far away, he/she is gently stopped instead of suddenly if a normal ‘leash’ was used. It is also all one part so the chance of them getting out is really small.
That is what I suspected about leg rings, but I often see a guy around town with a macaw with a leg ring and I wasn't sure!
My concern with the aviator is that it may be difficult to get on and take off. Do you know if it is? I don't want the process of putting it on and taking it off to be traumatic.
With this harness, I would probably get a different, stretchy leash to go with it. But I also don't really want her flying around while on the leash - I more so want it so she can join me on walks or on my porch.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
They can be difficult to get on, but there are some great videos on YouTube showing ways to desensitize your parrot and get him comfortable being around and using the harness. I want to get one for my cockatoo, my attempts with my nanday were terrible and I know so much more now. Good luck.

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Aviator can be tricky but it's the safest harness on the market. In general, birds aren't a fan of things going over their heads - there was a post that had a great video about training/desensitizing your bird to the harness to make the process easier.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not familiar with that harness either.... and if that's the bird I think it is.... I'd steer clear of it... (just don't like the person and feel some of their advice is hazardous)

As far as other harnesses go... I have both a Feather Tether(s) and Aviator. The Feather Tether is by far easier to put on, however I would consider the Aviator *safer* due to there being less links or clasps that could open up. The Feather Tethers are 2 or 3 pieces where-as the Aviator is 1 piece. That alone makes it safer as long as the parrot does not chew through it.

Becky1964

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Becky West
My bird has chewed through 4 aviators in minutes....

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
I would love to take my alexandrine out for walks. But she has chewed through many harnesses i have purchased. However she can not chew through the leg harness. The leg harness i have is really stretchy, would that make it any safer?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would love to take my alexandrine out for walks. But she has chewed through many harnesses i have purchased. However she can not chew through the leg harness. The leg harness i have is really stretchy, would that make it any safer?
This is quite an old thread, you’ll get more answers if you start your own thread asking what you’d like to know :)